Constipated/stuck Stool

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeding Zeke raw food for almost 4 years, and it’s gone well. I’ve managed to get him down from over 20lbs to almost 15lbs. He’s 8 years old.

But today, he was seriously straining to poop, wandering through the house clearly in distress, even laying on his side and straining. It hadn’t been that long since he last pooped, and I thought I could see a stool kinda sticking out, and liquid was passing around the poop when he strained. He barfed, 8hours after eating breakfast, after straining hard to poop.

Concerned about the effects of him continuing to strain, I took him to the emergency vet.
They removed some hard stool, and did an xray, since we were concerned that he might have an obstruction from eating plastic or something, and to see how seriously he was constipated.

She pointed out some bits in his stomach on the xray, might be plastic, might be bone bits. I had previously said he’s fed raw, and that includes some bones and ground bones.
She said she doesn’t believe in feeding raw, and that constipation can be a consequence. I said I’m aware that too much bone can cause constipation.

She asked if I had had his diet evaluated by a professional pet nutritionist, which I have not. But I do add a feline supplement. She strongly encouraged it; just because he’s been doing okay on the diet for 4 years doesn’t mean there might not be issues. I tried to not take it personally.

How many of y’all have had your cat’s diet analyzed by a professional pet nutritionist?

They gave him an enema and subcutaneous fluids.
His xrays don’t indicate serious constipation, like completely blocking the colon.

She’s recommending I give him 1/4 teaspoon Miralax powder daily to help with constipation.

I guess that’s preferable to going through this again.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Do any of y’all use Miralax powder to keep your kitties non-constipated?

We already give our dog canned pumpkin puree, so I was thinking of doing that instead - once he’s back to normal - anybody do that?

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people give their cats pumpkin and it seems to work well. It is not easy to get the right kind of pumpkin where I live so I use psyllium. A pinch on the food twice a day works for my cat, I also put a small blob of Vasaline on his nose for a day or two when he is constipated. I'm sure other members will offer more advice.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven’t had my recipe evaluated, but I use Dr. Lisa Pierson’s recipe at catinfo.org. I’ve also shared it with my traditional medicine vet and my non-traditional vet and both said it looked good and had no concerns. My non-trad vet feeds his cats commercial raw so he’s a raw believer.

Mine did start to show some signs of constipation, so I switched from ground bone to eggshell calcium in my recipe. The two 14-year-old arthritic girls still had some problems, so I now give them Miralax (well, the generic version) every day. They seem to be doing well on about 1/8 tsp. daily.

My little old man, Max, had constipation issues the last year of his life, and the vet had me giving him 1/4 tsp. daily.

I’ve thought about trying pumpkin, but Iris is so picky that I decided to stay with what’s working...and what she’s willing to eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Tobermory! :)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you feed your cat exactly?
From Hare Today I rotate between

Ground whole carcass rabbit with Alnutrin for meat and bone and fish oil, additional taurine and water

Small chunks of rabbit (includes bone and organs)
Whole adult mice

Ground whole carcass cavies with Alnutrin for meat and bone, fish oil, taurine, and water

Ground boneless turkey thighs with Alnutrin with eggshell , fish oil, taurine, water

For bedtime treat, freeze-dried turkey hearts and livers

And some regular treats, like Temptations hairball control treats

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From Hare Today I rotate between

Ground whole carcass rabbit with Alnutrin for meat and bone and fish oil, additional taurine and water

Small chunks of rabbit (includes bone and organs)
Whole adult mice

Ground whole carcass cavies with Alnutrin for meat and bone, fish oil, taurine, and water

Ground boneless turkey thighs with Alnutrin with eggshell , fish oil, taurine, water

For bedtime treat, freeze-dried turkey hearts and livers

And some regular treats, like Temptations hairball control treats
Maybe you can dilute the ground rabbit? It's high in bone. If you do 1 pound of boneless to 1 pound of ground the bone percentage comes out to be about 7%. Or 2 pounds of ground and 1 pound of boneless would be 10% bone. I'm also guessing ground cavies have too much bone too. I would try decreasing the bone to 10-7% in your recipes first. If that doesn't work you can give miralax. I have one boy who is prone to constipation and I give him 1/8tsp of miralax 2x a day.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can dilute the ground rabbit? It's high in bone. If you do 1 pound of boneless to 1 pound of ground the bone percentage comes out to be about 7%. Or 2 pounds of ground and 1 pound of boneless would be 10% bone. I'm also guessing ground cavies have too much bone too. I would try decreasing the bone to 10-7% in your recipes first. If that doesn't work you can give miralax. I have one boy who is prone to constipation and I give him 1/8tsp of miralax 2x a day.
Thanks. :)
Yeah, I’m thinking that even though HT lists the ground rabbit and ground cavies as 10%bone (80/10/10), it’s a bit much for him. He’ll eat just about anything, so adding some boneless meat to the mix is a good idea.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently started adding a little pumpkin (from packets of Weruva or Soulistic) to meals for one of our cats: she had mild constipation (she just wasn't always hungry) and and the pumpkin has made a huge difference. I've also cut back on some of the cats' bonier freeze-dried foods and started feeding more homemade with EZ Complete and Alnutrin that have eggshell instead of bone. It didn't take much pumpkin to help: I only use about 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. Although Ireland seems to enjoy the pumpkin, I'd like to eliminate or cut it back but don't want to do that until I have some less bony alternatives to the foods we've been feeding.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. :)
Yeah, I’m thinking that even though HT lists the ground rabbit and ground cavies as 10%bone (80/10/10), it’s a bit much for him. He’ll eat just about anything, so adding some boneless meat to the mix is a good idea.
The ground rabbit is 15% bone. Ground cavies does list 10% bone but I have seen people say 10% is too much and they had to go down to 7%.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ground rabbit is 15% bone. Ground cavies does list 10% bone but I have seen people say 10% is too much and they had to go down to 7%.
Yup. I don't think I could even get away with a constant 7% for Ireland. I'm not sure how our cats' diet would average out -- even before cutting out the 10% bone foods, they get a variety of foods, including one meal a day of EZ Complete, which has no bone. I think she must just be very sensitive to bone.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.
Did you have the HT ground whole carcass rabbit evaluated by someone else? Just wondering, since HT is still listing it as 10% bone, and it’s a pretty significant difference. If I can’t rely on the info they’re listing, that makes it difficult to get the right amount of bone.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the info.
Did you have the HT ground whole carcass rabbit evaluated by someone else? Just wondering, since HT is still listing it as 10% bone, and it’s a pretty significant difference. If I can’t rely on the info they’re listing, that makes it difficult to get the right amount of bone.
I thought I remembered HT announcing recently that they were re-balancing their whole carcass ground rabbit to 10% bone. The regular rabbit grinds are still 15% bone. Or maybe, as a friend used to say, I disremembered. :)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I remembered HT announcing recently that they were re-balancing their whole carcass ground rabbit to 10% bone. The regular rabbit grinds are still 15% bone. Or maybe, as a friend used to say, I disremembered. :)
Ah, I see on their website that the ground rabbit with bones and organs is 15% bone, and whole carcass ground rabbit is 10% bone. I guess the difference comes from the fur and skin.

At any rate, I still have 3 chubs of the WCG rabbit and a boneless turkey. Since my little guy needs less bone, I’ll need to figure out how to mix in some boneless turkey to get through them, then maybe just go with boneless and use a supplement with eggshell.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently started adding a little pumpkin (from packets of Weruva or Soulistic) to meals for one of our cats: she had mild constipation (she just wasn't always hungry) and and the pumpkin has made a huge difference. I've also cut back on some of the cats' bonier freeze-dried foods and started feeding more homemade with EZ Complete and Alnutrin that have eggshell instead of bone. It didn't take much pumpkin to help: I only use about 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. Although Ireland seems to enjoy the pumpkin, I'd like to eliminate or cut it back but don't want to do that until I have some less bony alternatives to the foods we've been feeding.
Hey, glad you found a work-around until you get some less bony alternatives.
It’s good to hear that you don’t need a lot of pumpkin to help. :clapcat:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
If you mix in boneless to bring down the bone content, you’ll need to add some organ meat to bring the organ percentage back to 10. I never thought that having cats would mean I’d need to get better at math!

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you mix in boneless to bring down the bone content, you’ll need to add some organ meat to bring the organ percentage back to 10. I never thought that having cats would mean I’d need to get better at math!
Ooh, thanks for the reminder!
Yeah, and math isn’t my strong suit ;)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, for the math challenged among us, there’s this handy calculator: Dilute Bone Content I can calculate it manually, but I always worry I’ve done something wrong. :sigh:
THanks for the link.
I couldn’t get it to work, though. :frown: I manually put in numbers, but nothing happens when I try “calculate”.
I’ll be whipping out the calculator later:rolleyes: