constipated kitty won't eat at all

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi yall

so my cat was throwing up for quite some time last week, and i ended up taking her to the vet this monday out of fear of a foreign body obstruction. the vet did xrays and all he saw was some constipation, so he prescribed laxatone, along with cerenia tablets and sucralfate for the gi irritation. since then, she hasn't really eaten as much as she normally does. she refused her regular food that she tends to snarf down, so i went and got canned chicken and tuna, and baby food. she's eaten some of that very sporadically. today all she had to eat was a little bit of chicken baby food in the morning, refusing everything else. i syringe fed her some baby food about an hour ago, which she promptly came into my room and threw up a few minutes later. i noticed this afternoon that she seemed to be salivating and swallowing a lot like she was about to throw up, but never actually did the gagging or throwing up. i feel so frustrated and i don't know what to do to help her feel better. does anyone have any ideas? im planning on calling the vet tomorrow and seeing if he'll prescribe more anti nausea medication and an appetite stimulant. i really want to avoid having to take her in again if possible since i don't have a car, so we have to take ubers and its a very stressful experience for myself and her, but i will if i have to.

thanks yall

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Sorry to hear your cat isn't feeling well.

Many posters on this website have found that laxatone does not work for their cats. A vet doesn't know until they try it though.

Can you ask your vet about Restorilax/Miralax? The unflavored kind for humans works well. You simply dissolve the crystals into water and add it to their favourite wet food or treat. I find it works within 24 hours.

My vet prescribed 1/4 tsp twice a day for my cat (17lbs) until his poos turned soft and then move to 1/4 tsp per day. He did have some bloating and discomfort at the higher dosage but it worked quickly so he wasn't on it long.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I use Miralax too. 1/4 tsp. Is your cat going in the litter box now? Maybe she is still constipated and doesn't feel like eating. The swallowing, etc. is nausea. She may have had such unpleasant episodes with eating while constipated so may be reluctant to eat again. When my cats won't eat I get Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, They always seem to lap a little of that. I would definitely get an OK from your vet and use the Miralax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I use Miralax too. 1/4 tsp. Is your cat going in the litter box now? Maybe she is still constipated and doesn't feel like eating. The swallowing, etc. is nausea. She may have had such unpleasant episodes with eating while constipated so may be reluctant to eat again. When my cats won't eat I get Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, They always seem to lap a little of that. I would definitely get an OK from your vet and use the Miralax.
She definitely has had bowel movements since starting on the laxatone. she went a few times and it was solid, and then once it was liquid. right now she only really seems to be eating in the middle of the night and in the very early morning.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She definitely has had bowel movements since starting on the laxatone. she went a few times and it was solid, and then once it was liquid. right now she only really seems to be eating in the middle of the night and in the very early morning.
Liquid could indicate that it has now developed to a blockage, OR that the constipation has passed. Keep an eye out and perhaps give the vet a call to see if it's time to start lowering the laxatone dosage or what the vet wants to do 🐱

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liquid could indicate that it has now developed to a blockage, OR that the constipation has passed. Keep an eye out and perhaps give the vet a call to see if it's time to start lowering the laxatone dosage or what the vet wants to do 🐱
i called the vet and they told me they'd give me a call back once the dr is in. today she ate a whole packet of tiki cat velvet mousse on her own, so hopefully she keeps that up the rest of the day. could it still be a blockage if she had a liquidy poop one day, and then solid the next? i figured since her poops are more normal now after one bout of liquid, it likely means it passed right?

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and should i keep feeding her? she licked her plate clean and is asking for more

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
aorticorbit aorticorbit I would think you should feed her slowly if she hasn't been eating much, but as much as she'd like.

Confirm with the vet, but I think you're likely right and if it was liquid first than solid that it's a good sign things moved along.

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you so much! the vet called back and said to keep up with the anti nausea meds and laxatone since its keeping things moving for her and recheck in 5 days if she hasn't improved. i took today off work to hang out with her and she seems to be feeling a little better. hopefully by wednesday she's back to her old food obsessed self and i can stop being so stressed out about her lol. thank you both again!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy to hear how it goes. Glad the vet was able to get back to you