Constipated Cat

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. It seems Ash has been getting constipated quite a bit lately. The other day I found him covering some poop with a towel that he usually laid on. I've never had issues with any of them pooping outside the litter box before. However, last night I did see him struggling a bit to go. I'm not really sure what to do though. I've tried watermelon before and he wouldn't eat it. I'm pretty sure I tried pumpkin in the past and he refused to eat it as well, but I'm considering trying it again or maybe mixing a tiny bit in his food. I'm already putting water in his food for both meals because he's prone to UTIs and the main water fountain has broken, so I'll be ordering a new one of those. I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to help him though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1/8 tsp of miralax 2/day. You can adjust the dosage depending on his bowel response.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not personally done this with my cat, but I know that people on this site have had great success with adding unflavored Miralax to their pet's food. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1/8 tsp of miralax 2/day. You can adjust the dosage depending on his bowel response.
Thank you. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind and probably trying it.

I have not personally done this with my cat, but I know that people on this site have had great success with adding unflavored Miralax to their pet's food. :)
Thank you. It sounds like it's definitely a consideration.

ams827

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I would reach out to your primary veterinarian. My cat had a bout of constipation and she was given an enema, and then a laxative I administered for a few days to get her back to normal. No issues since then, but it was due to a diet change. I have since switched her back to her old food. I would recommend discussing with a vet as they do seem to take constipation/potential blockages pretty seriously. Please keep us posted!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On similar threads as this, I have read suggestions of adding several drops of olive oil or cooking oil to the cat's food. Hope you find something that works.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N & D wet foods have pumpkin in them. They also have foods like Boar & Apple & Pumpkin. Their wet foods have more water than the other wet foods I have tried. In result they do not make the cat feel very full but it is good for hydration and bowel movements. My cat also doesn't eat pumpking or anything like that normally but in these wet foods they are small enough that she seems to only taste the meat and eats all the pumpkins.

I usually split one can into two for morning and afternoon and add a little more water into the afternoon portion sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I would reach out to your primary veterinarian. My cat had a bout of constipation and she was given an enema, and then a laxative I administered for a few days to get her back to normal. No issues since then, but it was due to a diet change. I have since switched her back to her old food. I would recommend discussing with a vet as they do seem to take constipation/potential blockages pretty seriously. Please keep us posted!
I will if it keeps up. Or maybe I'll send an email or something to see if she can give us any advice without a trip. I already have vet bills to pay and we still don't know what's causing my other cat to lose all her fur. And she needs a dental cleaning as well.

On similar threads as this, I have read suggestions of adding several drops of olive oil or cooking oil to the cat's food. Hope you find something that works.
Alright, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

N & D wet foods have pumpkin in them. They also have foods like Boar & Apple & Pumpkin. Their wet foods have more water than the other wet foods I have tried. In result they do not make the cat feel very full but it is good for hydration and bowel movements. My cat also doesn't eat pumpking or anything like that normally but in these wet foods they are small enough that she seems to only taste the meat and eats all the pumpkins.

I usually split one can into two for morning and afternoon and add a little more water into the afternoon portion sometimes.
That's interesting. I'll have to look into it. Thank you!

Is he on all wet food?
Almost entirely wet. He gets maybe a table spoon, give or take a little, of dry for a snack in the afternoon.