Constipated? Ate something maybe?

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Phoenix hasn't really eaten in a couple of days. Took him to the vet today. She did X-Ray and his tummy was full and he had tons of stool in his intestines. He was given an enema and did poop for them. The vet thought maybe he ate something that he shouldn't have like a toy maybe. I am super worried. Should I just let things try to pass? Should I induce vomiting somehow? He ate a little for me when he got home from the vet, but is really lethargic.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The Xray would probably have shown a foreign object. The enema tired him out and since he was just cleaned out, he won't poop for a while. Keep your eye on him and if he continues to refuse food or eat very little and seems lethargic, call the vet. Did the vet give any indication of what she thinks he might have eaten beside a toy? Is any toy conspicuously missing or chewed? Anything else in the house chewed? I think that you need to stay in touch with the vet. Since you just paid for a visit, calling and asking about followup should be acceptable to them. I would ask about inducing vomiting before doing that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Xray would probably have shown a foreign object. The enema tired him out and since he was just cleaned out, he won't poop for a while. Keep your eye on him and if he continues to refuse food or eat very little and seems lethargic, call the vet. Did the vet give any indication of what she thinks he might have eaten beside a toy? Is any toy conspicuously missing or chewed? Anything else in the house chewed? I think that you need to stay in touch with the vet. Since you just paid for a visit, calling and asking about followup should be acceptable to them. I would ask about inducing vomiting before doing that.
We have dozens of cat toys and both of my cats like to hide them, so I don't know if on is missing or not. The vet said his tummy was full like he had just eaten, but couldn't really tell if he ingested something he shouldn't have or if it was full of food. He doesn't usually understand that food is food unless its in the bowl or he sees the other cat eating. If I give him treats he won't realize its a treat until the other cat eats it, so I doubt he ate something except a toy. He loves his toys. The vet wants to just play it out, and see what happens . I'm just so worried he won't pass it if he did indeed eat a toy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is fine that the vet wants you to observe him, but use your own judgement if something does not seem right and get back to the vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd second the use your own best judgment and wait. It can take a few days for their system to get back to normal. As long as he is eating and not vomiting it could just be a random case of something didn't sit right with his system. Usually, foreign bodies will be visible on xrays but if you think something is still wrong don't be afraid to ask for a new xray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's super clingy to me tonight, and very grumpy at the other cat ( usually they are best buddies) I'm guessing he feels very violated after the enema. Hopefully he will start feeling better soon. Poor guy!