Constant whining

pepsisue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help, my cat is 15 yrs, had blood tests, told it is age. Through out the day she whines none stop at her bowl even though she has plenty of food, sometimes she will leave it all day. We try not to give in but it is hard as she follows us every step we take, or a shift in the chair, on the worktops, food cupboard, and our plates. The only way she settles down if we get it right, on her 3 satchets as being the right ones, then she is quite until morning 5.30 am when we let her out. We have tried the clean 2 litter boxes to stop her fowling in the house, she pees in the tray and rarely now, poops in the house. We stopped her entering our bedroom because she pee peed on our bed and my chest. She seems cleanerish, we dare not chance it. We talk and fuss her and try to stay calm but it's hard, after all she is old. If anyone has any suggestions, I will try it.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Were her teeth checked? If she's having mouth pain, she may prefer the soft food over the kibble. Did she have an urinalysis done to rule out a medical reason for peeing outside the box?

I'm not a fan of old age alone as an explanation for any change in behavior. There's usually a medical reason. Yes, old age can bring on issues: arthritis, kidney, liver, heart, teeth, etc., but some of these problems are very treatable.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You state that at 5:30 you let her out. it could be that she wants out all the time now that it is spring.  I am not a fan of letting cats outdoors, but I understand that it is the custom in other countries. Is there any way she can be safely let out? Do you have an enclosed garden? Or a screened conservatory?