Constant morning meowing? Here's what worked for me

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my furbaby for almost three years now. Two months ago he began waking me up anywhere from 4:30-6 in the morning meowing. Continuously. He would go on for an hour or two. It seemed to coincide with us starting to take him outside (in a fenced backyard, leashed, and supervised). We put a stop to that after we made the connection.

After taking him to the vet to make sure nothing was wrong, I resolved to ignore the behavior. After a month of getting no more than five straight hours of sleep a night, I had to try something different. I did everything under the sun that people suggested--playing before bedtime, leaving food out, keeping the window open, putting him in another room, etc. I got him a cat condo. I wore earplugs. Nothing helped and I was at my wits' end.

My brother's xBox was giving him trouble and he had bought one of those dust remover spray bottles of air. At his random suggestion, I tried it the next morning when the furbaby started up his meowing. I didn't spray it at him or even anywhere near him. But something about the sound of it he really disliked. It took about ten minutes of spraying just a squirt of air at each meow for him to stop. The next day it took less time. The third day he only meowed twice. And now it's been about a week and he's back to his usual adorable morning self, coming over after my alarm goes off to be petted and purring nonstop.

I just wanted to get this information out there because sleep is important and maybe someone else will have success with this method as well.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for sharing! Those air blasters really do work for many reasons to distract cats. There is a product for this very purpose and just for cats! You can use it alone or dispense it yourself. It has a motion detection system too. There is also this one The Pet Corrector -
These work great for behavior modification for both cats and for dogs. Of course, never pointing directly at the pet. It is the noise - the hissing air blast - that stops the behavior and no need to even use it near your pet at all. A distance away is just as effective. :bigthumb:

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank heaven for this information! I have a Tortie who talks nonstop and who will sit in the kitchen miaowing late at night until I go in and get her to stop. She drives me nuts. I will definitely get one of those.