Constant Meowing

wrath_of_con_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

So my cat is lovely and weird and it is not unusual for her to walk around the apartment meowing to herself. However, in the past few days its gotten a little out of hand. If she's not sleeping, she's meowing. She's eating and drinking and using her litter box, she's not hiding, and she is placated somewhat by playing with me but gets bored rather quickly. She's following me around through my house, wherever I am sitting by me or stalking around me meowing. I am worried about her - I don't think she's sick, but I think she is acting like she's really unhappy - her meows are the pathetic whining kind. My partner has been out of town for a few days, so it could be just that she's upset that he's not here, but I wanted to see if any of you thought anything else could be going on? Any help would be so so so appreciated!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrath_of_con_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll also note that while she's not hiding, she's acting very skittish .Suddenly she'll just bolt from a room or startle or run away from me as I'm walking around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is she? Cats as they age, from my experience, don't deal as well with change of any kind. Since your partner is out of town that could be the explanation. But, if her behavior continues to change more it could be a health issue. Keep an eye on her for additional behavioral changes that might show up. Hopefully, your partner is due home very soon. That should help explain, or rule out, the changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrath_of_con_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How old is she? Cats as they age, from my experience, don't deal as well with change of any kind. Since your partner is out of town that could be the explanation. But, if her behavior continues to change more it could be a health issue. Keep an eye on her for additional behavioral changes that might show up. Hopefully, your partner is due home very soon. That should help explain, or rule out, the changes.
Thank you for getting back to me! She's a little over a year old. Anything that I should look out for that's particularly worrisome? Not eating and drinking?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, she is young. Well, even then the absence of someone that she is used to having around could cause a behavioral change at that age. They just don't get why someone who is always there is not now around.

Yes, make sure her eating/drinking/litterbox habits don't change. Her eating and drinking might be impacted if she is missing your partner, which could also affect her litterbox habits, obviously. Other things could be lethargy, not wanting to play, hiding excessively. If she has been given a clean bill of health by a vet, that helps to know there isn't some hidden illness going on in the background.

Hopefully, your partner is home soon, and you see a positive change when that happens. You will learn that she is just a sensitive kitty that might be affected by what we humans consider little changes. Or, she could grow out of it!

BestCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been having the same problem. Mine has been waking me up at night by constantly pawing on my bed. If she’s whining at night, I normally get up and spend time with her until she gets bored of me, then she would stop till morning. My cat isn’t ill, so that should not be a problem.

The missing person is another thing, she is bolt into rooms because she is probably looking for partner, or sees someone or something out side that could be them, or a replacement. Cats have strange imaginations, not being able to understand the full concept of something. Your partner just my be her favorite, like my cat likes me and my father more and anyone else in my family, even though my sister and I are the ones who are mainly the ones taking care of her.

If this continues after your partner returns, then try giving a little bit more attention. She may think that she’ll be left alone again, but giving them more attention calms them a little more, kinda resuming that you’re there to take care of them.