Constant meowing - new and annoying!

oleander86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two kittens are now nearly in adulthood. One is just shy of being a year old (Gatsby); the younger one is just under 10 months (Archer).

Gatsby went through a particularly obnoxious teenager phase where he would meow all night to get attention. He would climb under the covers and bite my feet, and then walk around my apartment all day chattering. It drove me nuts, but eventually he just got over it. He still chatters sometimes at 6 in the morning but if I kick him out of my room he will go lay down in the living room and be quiet until I get up.

Archer, my previously quiet little mama's boy, now seems to be entering a similarly annoying phase. He meows all day. I don't think it happens when I'm not home, and it doesn't happen at night, but from 7 am on he will meow, meow, meow meow meow. Sometimes it's a yowling, sometimes it's just chattering and grumbling. He stands at the front door of our apartment and meows as if he wants in the hallway.

The only thing I can think of that he is specifically meowing for is food. When they were younger I would feed them each about a can of wet food each a day (portioned into two meals - 8 am and 6 pm) with kibble available all day for free-feeding. Now that they're nearly at adulthood (or something like it), they're getting a little flubby in the belly, so I only am feeding them the wet food with the occasional tablespoon of kibble if they seem restless. Archer will stand by the cupboard where the kibble is, but even if I give him a little bit (mostly to calm him down so he doesn't disturb my neighbours), he will go back to meowing constantly a half an hour later.

He doesn't seem to be in pain - he's playful and frisky as ever, wrestles with Gatsby, and sleeps cuddled up to me all night. How the heck can I stop the meowing, or is it just a phase I need to wait out? Anyone else experience this? You see so many articles about kitten behaviour but less so about specific adolescent cat behaviour.

catlady2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know anything about his parents or anything ?  I have a black and white cat that some of his siblings look like pure bred Siamese cats.  Siamese are the most vocal cats there are.  They have to tell you about everything and complain about nothing.  In my opinion I'm thinking your cat may have some Siamese in him.  I just have learned to deal with my cat though times he drives me crazy.

Donna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oleander86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suppose it's not totally out of the question but he doesn't look like he has any siamese at all. He is your typical standard tabby (not that I don't think he's adorable, I do!).

catlady2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having connection problems  :eek:( or I would show you my cat.  He's black and white but his sister looks like a blue point Siamese.  Sometimes looks are deceiving.

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness Archer is adorable! I LOVE tabby cats.  

I feel your pain with the meowing, our cats are 10 months old and can be very vocal - mostly I have learnt they mean... "feed me!", "I'm bored" or "Let's go outside!".  I am assuming it is just a naughty teenager phase that goes along with their boisterousness and cheeky curiosity.

Have you tried talking back? Sometimes that helps? Or engaging in a game for 5mins with them? Last night mine were a bit restless and I gave them a big sheet of tissue paper to play with which kept them quiet and occupied for ages. 

I think if the meowing is not hunger, pain or fear then its usually boredom.  I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along with further info. Goodluck x

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

...so I only am feeding them the wet food with the occasional tablespoon of kibble if they seem restless. Archer will stand by the cupboard where the kibble is, but even if I give him a little bit (mostly to calm him down so he doesn't disturb my neighbours), he will go back to meowing constantly a half an hour later.
This is positive reinforcement. In the cats' view, when they meow enough, they get food. So they learn to keep meowing.

Occasionally reinforcement is much, much more powerful than constant reinforcement. That is to say, if they get rewarded sometimes instead of everytime, they are more likely to repeat unwanted behavior.

What you should try is to completely ignore him. One can of wet food (or however much you think is enough) a day and that's it. When he meows, don't talk at him, don't look at him, don't interact with him. Pretend he's not there. I'm not going to lie, this is going to be hard. It may takes weeks, even months, but you need to be consistent in ignoring him.

When he stops meowing for a good amount of time, then you pay attention to him. The idea is for him to understand that meowing gets him nowhere; being quiet does.

oleander86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help! I know I shouldn't give in to the meowing (especially since I'm not even sure it's hunger) but I've been worried he may disturb my neighbours. Having said that, no one has complained yet so I will try to ignore as much as possible and will reinforce his quiet behaviour.

On a side note - does a can each a day sound like enough? To those of you will teenaged cats, do you feed them more than that? I'm trying to ease them off kibble as I know it's not healthy for them.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help! I know I shouldn't give in to the meowing (especially since I'm not even sure it's hunger) but I've been worried he may disturb my neighbours. Having said that, no one has complained yet so I will try to ignore as much as possible and will reinforce his quiet behaviour.

On a side note - does a can each a day sound like enough? To those of you will teenaged cats, do you feed them more than that? I'm trying to ease them off kibble as I know it's not healthy for them.
You can always try talking to your neighbors and telling them what you're going through. Make up a bit of a story if you must lol. But I would definitely let them know.

A 5.5 oz can a day is typical. Once a cat reaches about 8 or so months, they don't eat as much as kittens anymore. I do advise investing in a scale though to weigh them and monitor their weight. Some cats eat more than a can, some less.

oleander86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've heard they should be around 8 lbs as domestic shorthairs, so that's what I'm aiming for - they're actually closer to 9.5-10. :/

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a good chart to visualize it. Mooch and Noodles are litter mates and even as kittens near the same size they weighed different. Noodles actually looked fluffier because of her fur texture; but Mooch weighed a whole pound more. She was all muscle mass in those days. They are also bigger in height and length than 2 of my mother's cats. The build makes a lot of difference!

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is adorable. He seems to be having really big feet, so I think he is still growing. I know the recommended feeding quantity for an average adult cat is 5.5 oz, but I think at 10 months he is still growing. I have 2 litter mates, 11 months old, who would starve on just 5.5 oz. Amelie is very well fit  (a 5 on the chart) and Harley is somewhere between 6 and 7, but he is a pig and he steals food.

Regarding the meowing, I feel you. Harley (neutered) is singing us the song of his people almost every morning from 3.40 to 5.40 (on the clock!). With other two cats and two humans who try to ignore him, after his repertoire of meowowowow, he starts crying like he is the most miserable cat on the planet. He is healthy and only does this between 3.40 and 5.40, then he goes back to sleep.

I have tried so far:

- food. Yes, I know, very wrong, but he drove me to the point where I wouldn't mind serving a 4 am meal if it would make him quiet. However, it does not work. He eats and then he cries some more.

- spraying him with water. Actually, I did not spray him to make him quiet, I sprayed him cause, being sleep deprived and thinking poorly, I wanted to get even with him - I have to stay awake, he has to endure something he dislikes. It backfired immensely, as I provided him with a game and entertainment much needed at those hours (he would run from me, but then come back, meow,  I put my hand on the bottle, he ran, came back, meow and so on).

- ignoring. Really hard to do that at 4 am in the morning, when everything else is in perfect quietness. I even put ear plugs on. He did not stop. I guess I could ignore him more, but I feel pity for my neighbors.

- taking him and putting him under the covers. He doesn't like it.

- allowing him in the living room (cats are not allowed there during the night because of stampeding and running and jumping like crazy). He stops meowing but will start stampeding with my other two cats. If the other two do not wake up, he will cry some more.

- staying only with him IN the living room. He would meow at the door for the other two and the other two would meow at the door to get in. Sophie knows to open the door, but she makes a lot of noise jumping on the handle until she opens it.

- letting a light on. He has a damaged eye and I thought maybe it was a vision thing.

- letting the tv on for noise.

Nothing worked more than once.

He stops if I wake up and play with him or if he has the run of the living room and the other cats play with him.

We do play with all of them in the evenings.

Please let me know if you find something that works. I will do the same. I am sleep deprived for two months now.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Jasper meows pretty much all evening. He is 10 months old. It starts about 5-6pm and goes until about 11pm. It doesn't seem directed at anything in particular although he get very vocal in the kitchen. He walks around the kitchen, living room and less so in the hallway meowing either quietly or more throaty and drawn out (not quite yowling). I have put it down to boredom mostly. Playing works really well but as soon as I stop, he goes back to meowing. I think sometimes it's for food but it can't be the whole reason. I have Jasper as a single cat and am feeling really guilty about it, the evenings are a real struggle with me feeling so bad about it. I've noticed quite frequently he is meowing at bugs that he can't reach as well. Besides playing, me talking to him always keeps him quiet. That's another reason I think he does it - to get my attention. He often meows directly at me and sometimes we have a 'conversation'. But in the morning he is quiet and plays with his toys. He is mostly quiet and relaxed during the day. It's just the evening that he seems to get really restless. It started a couple of months ago with springtime. I don't mind the sound and can block it out, but it makes me think he is unhappy and then I feel awful. I hope it's a phase.

catlady2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I'd do with Jasper is take away his food several hours before bed.  An hour before you go to bed your job starts with him.  Play with him with an interactive toy like GoCat Da Bird Pull Apart Rod and Bird Cat Feather Toy.  Some of these wand toys have replaceable toy ends where you can change them out so if the cat isn't so fond of one toy you can try another.  Play with your cat until he pants like a dog.  Do this for no less than 30 minutes straight.  Make him jump in the air at the toy so he really gets exercise but let him catch it sometimes or he will find this game is not so fun. You can even try a laser light but cats that old usually don't pant with those. After you are done then feed him and go to bed. 

I'd also throw some new cat toys on the floor for him to play with over night like crinkle balls, balls with bells and toy mice.  Give him something to do while you sleep.  Does he have a cat tree ?  You might want to invest in one of those where he can play, climb and scratch. Make sure each night you find those toys from under the furniture and drop them on the floor for him.

Good luck