Constant meowing at door.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have a cat Buddy who is 5 years old. He is an active sweet boy and has no issues currently that I know of. For the past maybe year I've noticed every day multiple times a day he meows at the closed livingroom door. He will do this even when he has been fed, his litter is changed and he has plenty water.

Before this when I had the door open, I didn't face nearly as much meowing. He has access to my livingroom and my bedroom currently as the reason the door is shut is due to redecorating and things being unsafe for them to be out there right now.

I've considered it nay be just that he wants out there or it could also be boredom? I also tend me call him name to try to stop the constant meowing and redirect his attention so maybe he does it for attention? Though even if I give him attention, he just goes right back to it.

Eventually he gives up but he does often go back to it multiple times a day. I know cays are territorial as well so is he maybe just wanting access to his territory? I'm not sure.

I'm in the process of fixing things and he should be able to go back to roaming there soon, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I will note also that his brother does not meow at the door and does not seem to care like Buddy does.

I will admit the constant meowing is getting quite irritating though I don't like tell him no or anything.

I've also tried ignoring it but he goes on for ages. I've wondered if I'm missing something else he could be wanting?

Also if it is relevant, he is neutered.

Thank you in advance

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats hate closed doors. We close some bedroom doors when the ac is on and it takes a few days for my boys to stop meowing at them. Ignore the door and eventually he will too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not exactly clear on where and what construction is going on, but if it is on the other side of this closed door and he hears noises that could be part of the issue too. If this door leads to the outside, he could be hearing/smelling/sensing stray cats or other animals roaming about as well.

Just distract him with play and give him extra attention until such time the door can be opened again.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not that it will necessarily help, but it might .. .. what if you put a harness and leash on him, and take him in to that area so he can safely see and hear what's happening?