Constant meowing after a treat

ra7en

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in the process of training, or just rewarding my cat(s) to help them understand good behavior from not acceptable
Problem, one of them, Willie, will never shut up now. He will just sit in the kitchen until we give him another treat (just a little piece). but it doesn't work. he just keeps on meowing.
We tried ignoring him, and he jumps on the counter and starts knocking things over (nothing serious, just his normal wet food) to get our attention. Willie is extremely intelligent, and spoiled. and acts like a small 6yr old kid.

Is there a way to reverse this?

This is also a problem when taking him for a walk (on a leash), last 3 weeks we've been out with covid.. and he doesn't get it. And just sits by the door. Hate to punish him, because it is not his fault we're sorta quarentined (in an apartment - if it was a house I would take him outside, but difficult in a apt building).

but the treates are a bigger issue. His brother loki is cool. He's pretty quiet. Just watches his brother make all the noise

Yes this is comical, but annoying.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just smarter and more stubborn than others and take five times the patience and persistence to convince them that you are in charge and not them So you may need to keep ignoring him and never ever give in when he demands a treat. As far as the counter, you can keep picking him up and setting him down, you can try some kind of motion activated toy on the counter that talks or wriggles when it senses motion, or keeping the countertop entirely clear so there is nothing for him to knock over.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ignoring the demands is the only real way to stop him, and the hardest thing you will ever do. It can take 3-4 weeks to break that habit, with very stubborn cats, longer. And giving in ONCE sets you back to 0, or worse, because giving in has taught him that persistence pays off! Either give up and decide that he has done a marvelous job of training you, or grit your teeth and settle in for the long haul!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in the process of training, or just rewarding my cat(s) to help them understand good behavior from not acceptable
Problem, one of them, Willie, will never shut up now. He will just sit in the kitchen until we give him another treat (just a little piece). but it doesn't work. he just keeps on meowing.
We tried ignoring him, and he jumps on the counter and starts knocking things over (nothing serious, just his normal wet food) to get our attention. Willie is extremely intelligent, and spoiled. and acts like a small 6yr old kid.

Is there a way to reverse this?

This is also a problem when taking him for a walk (on a leash), last 3 weeks we've been out with covid.. and he doesn't get it. And just sits by the door. Hate to punish him, because it is not his fault we're sorta quarentined (in an apartment - if it was a house I would take him outside, but difficult in a apt building).

but the treates are a bigger issue. His brother loki is cool. He's pretty quiet. Just watches his brother make all the noise

Yes this is comical, but annoying.
Do you feed him his food, or even just the treats, in the kitchen? (that is, is his dish in the kitchen?)

I don't feed my cat in the kitchen, so that she doesn't associate the kitchen with cat food. Her dish is usually in one or two set locations in another room.

Also, I would set up a definite, expected routine when feeding, and when giving treats... so that the cat looks for voice and body cues from you as to when a treat is coming - the cat learns what to look for. It's not only their behaviors you are training but your own behaviors, lol. Otherwise, if you give treats willy-nilly and potentially at any time, the cat may just be always on alert and meowing for treats or food.