Constant Loud Meowing

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a foster cat, 1.5 years old, who had a litter of kittens that are now 8 weeks old and fully weaned, almost ready to go off to their forever homes in 2 weeks. The problem is that she meows CONSANTLY. It started when the kittens were 2 weeks old. We keep her in the “foster room” and don’t usually let the fosters out, but she will do this loud demanding meow so we let her out for awhile and all she did was walk around the house meowing, check on the kittens, then keep meowing.

At first we thought maybe she was in heat, but this has been happening for 6 weeks. Are cats normally in heat for that long? Then we thought it was because she wanted to move the kittens, because she seemed to be searching all over. She never tried to move them. We always keep her food bowl full, water bowl clean, and cat box clean, in case she’s one of those cats that requires perfection. She doesn’t beg for attention from us or try to go outside. She was rescued from a cat hoarder, so she’s never been an outside cat. I have spent hours playing with her to wear her out... that did nothing. I’ve given her plenty of attention and head scratches but she doesn’t seem to enjoy them.

And it isn’t one of those quiet little meows my cats sometimes do for food or just to greet me. It’s a loud and demanding yowl and she only stops during the night or right after she’s eaten.

I’m worried for her because who wants to adopt a cat that meows constantly and doesn’t do anything else? I don’t want her being returned. I also want to see her enjoy being a cat, not spend 90% of her time wandering around the house meowing. Does anyone have any ideas why she does this and how I can stop it?? I’m desperate!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is in heat. I would get her into the vet as soon as possible so that she quiets down and doesn’t end up sneaking out and getting pregnant.

It is also possible that she is just a vocal cat in which case she will need to go to a home where they are used to the noise.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also thinking she might be in heat. Or maybe she's just stressed out from being a mama. ;)

Hopefully once she is no longer caring for the kittens, and she is spayed, her constant meowing will stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, I guess the next step is getting her spayed! I’ll schedule it for next week and see how it goes. I doubt it’s just how she is, because she seems distressed, like she’s searching for something. She probably is in heat.