Constant Hairballs and OverGrooming

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just in the last 2 weeks or so my persian fluffy cat started scratching a lot more, he has allergies to something for years! He also grooms too much...But the last 5 days he has made a hairball every single day, except he skipped a day... Its just hairballs coming out, havnt regurgitated food in a while....

I been giving him omega 3 fish oil half the recommended dose for 2 months now and just started him on a full capsule once a day of egg lecithin yesterday....I also been giving him cbd for couple days but I just stopped the other day,I did have him on cbd a whole bottles worth previously, I might put him back on it.... He hates combing but I started that today...

Am I doing everything right? He hasnt been making hairballs for quite a while now until recently, just one every couple weeks or so...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be a sign of an underlying issue if you haven't changed anything in his diet. I would take him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea I spent 1k bucks on him earlier in the year, he had blood work done and everything was fine 7 months ago or so..I think overgrooming is the cause maybe from anxiety

Of course if this continues ill have to takem in

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yea I spent 1k bucks on him earlier in the year, he had blood work done and everything was fine 7 months ago or so..I think overgrooming is the cause maybe from anxiety

Of course if this continues ill have to takem in
Cats don’t just randomly get anxiety though. There may be something in the environment stressing him out. Try to think if there have been any environmental changes that coincide with the increase in hairballs.

Unfortunately it’s possible that whatever is going on now wouldn’t show up in the bloodwork 6 months ago. Is he eating normally? Sometimes hairballs can be a sign of an underlying health issue like kidney disease.

What kind of food does he eat?

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He actually had hairball problems before then it went away and I forgot about it..Vet mentioned possible ibd but thats just an assumption...Hes on precription gastrointestinal and he gets iams hairball mixed in....Trying hard to get him on a little wet with iams chicken pate, hes a regurgitator so he gets tiny meals every two hours all day long

Hes always been nervous with anxiety for years, im a have him on holistapet cbd, hes indoor but he has allergies to something his whole life...I self diagnose him with mild hyperesthesia

now I remember I put him on cbd during the summer because he was compulsively grooming his tail, which slowly stopped

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I would really try to get him on a mostly wet food or all wet food diet. Most likely the dry food is your culprit. Even the “hairball” marketed food is a scam.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 years and 30 varietys later I got him eating little bit of iams pate and he doesnt eat it all