Constant Diarrhoea From Both Of My Cats

Vanhorne86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Siamese cats, one is 5 months old and the other is 12 and they have both had pretty much constant running diarrhoea for at least a month and a half now. The younger one has had it for longer, possibly since we got him at 3 months old and the older one has developed it more recently. I had an idea that it could be food intolerance's in the younger one but everything he eats gives him runny poo and the older one is reacting despite having eaten the same foods for years. I sent stool samples to the vet, the older one's have come back with nothing to report (still awaiting the younger one's) but I'm at my wits end here. I just lost a 4 year old cat at the start of July to horrible and fast developing bowel cancer (he had very hard stools and constipation though) and I'm incredibly worried that something bad is happening here. They are both house cats with limited supervised time in my small garden and they're both up to date with worming and flea treatment. My vet told me to put them both on a hypoallergenic dry food diet which I have done for a week now but the diarrhoea is still constant (it's now a different colour due to the colour of the food....)

Has anyone got any advice, experiences or ideas of what could be happening here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vanhorne86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit: Neither of them are behaving weird, ill or even lethargic; they're both as perky as always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vanhorne86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd bump this with an update. So, the hypoallergenic for didn't work, they were on it for 6 weeks with no change. I put them both back on normal food but cut 'gravy' food out of their diet so they're only on jelly now and Vinny's (the kitten) stools have gone back to normal! Frankie's still weren't right though so the vet put him on a course of steroids and they seem to actually be helping which has made the vet think that the issue is inflammatory bowl disease. Apparently he's safe to stay on regular steroids and tbh, they seem to have fixed a lot of his other issues too (low energy, disinterest in food etc). So it's taken a while but everything is pretty good now!