Constant Collar Itching

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buttercup and Wesley both wore collars as kittens w/o issue.

They outgrew them, and I felt they weren't really necessary, and so they have been without.

As a gift, I received custom tags and collars for them with their names and my address/phone # and have adjusted it so I can slip two fingers into the collar. Any looser and it seems they can get at it with a foot or their teeth to take it off.

Now they are wearing it fine and not trying to take it off, but they both scratch at it religiously and this is day two.

I'm questioning whether I should abandon the attempt and let them run around nekked, or if I should wait a week and or do something else to limit the irritation it is causing them.

crazycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought...you could try them with just collars at first. Maybe its the tags they don't like. Once they get used to being "clothed" again for a while maybe they'll take the addition of tags. Just a thought since my little girl freaked out for hours when I first tried her with the collar, which had a "bell" (that didn't jingle) on it. Without the bell she had even stopped scratching at it after an hour or so. She forgot it was even there. Never did try the bell again.
Good luck!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the collars have bells or things that make noise on them? The bells drive Luna and Midnight crazy. We have to cut them off. Maybe it's not the collar itself, but something on the collar making them try to get it off, and their not scratching because their itchy, but because they don't like the noise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just the tag, which is pretty quiet, and I used the loop on it to go outside of the inner band, so it doesn't contact their neck.

I already removed the bells, because those things drive ME crazy.

I just gave up and took them off now temporarily at least. Hate to see poor buggers annoyed by em, but would have been nice.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the tags are metal they could have a sensitivity. I cannot put a collar on Bonaparte because the metal in it gives him eczema, and even plastic tags have metal rings. Are they siblings? They might have inherited the condition.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They go outside? Is that why you want them to wear collars?

If so, shouldn't they have those breakaway collars for safety sake?

Otherwise, if they don't go out, I don't see the point of collars. It irritates their necks and rubs their fur off.

It was a nice thought though (as in presents - "it's the thought that counts").

Robin

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

If the tags are metal they could have a sensitivity. I cannot put a collar on Bonaparte because the metal in it gives him eczema, and even plastic tags have metal rings. Are they siblings? They might have inherited the condition.
It might not be the metal. Most collars have some plastic on them - whether it be the buckle or the material the collar is made from itself. Some cats react to that.

Though it seems odd both would unless there's something wrong with the collars themselves (maybe dyes used?).

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Toss the collars and get them microchipped. Collars and cats are not a good idea and most of the collars now are made in foreign countries and heaven only knows what material they actually use. Collars can get caught on things and slowly strangle the kitty. They are to active to wear collars- microchipping is the answer.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of our cats wear collars - the only cat that ever did was my first one as he went outside during the day. Since I show most all my cats, none of them should be wearing collars (it messes up the fur) and I've never had one of them try to escape outside.

Since they don't like wearing them any more, why keep trying to get them to wear them?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are siblings. They are already microchiped and tattooed on their belly.

A regular person on the street though would never be able to tell they weren't just another one of the strays IMO. Just a couple days ago I was in the backyard covering all the plants when we had those 30mph winds and cold weather front, back door blew open without me noticing, and Wesley slowly snuck out and wouldn't let me catch him. He kept jumping into the glass windows in the back and banging his head trying to get back in... not too bright.

They are indoor only, but the collars look neat and if they were to ever get out again I'd feel safer.

The collars are Whisker City reflective breakaway collars, $10 each in store, so I would think are quality. The tags are anodized aluminum from TagWorks laser etched with their name, my address, and phone #.

I guess I could try washing them, I just didn't know if it was just a matter of it taking a while for them to get used to em... *shrugs*

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I would just take them off. If they are microchipped and tatooed there is little chance of you losing them permanently. If they are breakaways, and they get stuck somewhere and break off- then they won't have collars anyway. Collars are just a really bad idea for kitties.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

If they are breakaways, and they get stuck somewhere and break off- then they won't have collars anyway. Collars are just a really bad idea for kitties.
I agree, I know of far too many accidents - near death and deaths caused by cats wearing collars both indoor and outdoor accidents.

I had past cats who wore collars but will never use them these days, all mine are microchipped (by law). Collars are not worth the risk just so kitty can look cute or pretty.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're only trying to use them because they're a gift (that's a shame to waste), correct? Take a couple pictures of the cats in their collars and put the collars away.

I'm sure the friend meant well, though a gift card to a local pet supply store would probably be a better gift idea in the future since every little bit helps when buying food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy has some awesome points...

I would like to add my experience ... All my cats wore collars( realize MCing was not an option when they were little) till Zoey... she had several ... always has hair loss in clumps... after much heartache and many$$$ to the pet store and the vet ... She is allergic to DYE

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well, I'll just put them on short term when we go to vet visits or if a bunch of company is coming over where doors are opening and closing a lot.

I'll also take the tags off and throw the collars in with the laundry next time and perhaps that can wash off anything that might be an irritant too.

gisel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read a lot about not using collars or using the break away style. I have some concerns. Where I live I dont believe people are used to find a not-collared cat and get it to a vet to see if it is microchip. They will either take it home to adopt ´him thinking it does not have an owner (because he has no collar), or just assume its a stray cat.

Thats why I have him with a collar that has his name and my phone # engraved.

My cat is not friendly, so I had to opt for a long distance visible collar. I know something can always go wrong, but at least he is identified.

He never goes outside, but cats are very fast getting out the door. And in my neighborhood there are lots of stray cats, so I want him to show he has an owner.

Sometimes I know the collar bothers him. Right know he got a small scratch so I took it off for a while, to see how can I deal with that.

Loving my Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read a lot about not using collars or using the break away style. I have some concerns. Where I live I dont believe people are used to find a not-collared cat and get it to a vet to see if it is microchip. They will either take it home to adopt ´him thinking it does not have an owner (because he has no collar), or just assume its a stray cat.

Thats why I have him with a collar that has his name and my phone # engraved.

My cat is not friendly, so I had to opt for a long distance visible collar. I know something can always go wrong, but at least he is identified.

He never goes outside, but cats are very fast getting out the door. And in my neighborhood there are lots of stray cats, so I want him to show he has an owner.

Sometimes I know the collar bothers him. Right know he got a small scratch so I took it off for a while, to see how can I deal with that.

I have been struggling with my little girls collar. She scratches a lot and I know it bothers her quite a bit. Up until your comment I was going to remove it because I felt bad. But there are tons of stray cats around here as well and if a cat doesn’t have a collar most people here would ignore them and automatically assume it’s a stray. My little one isn’t a runner either. She’s never charged at the door or even acted like she wanted to go out. I already have the tags on the collar and it’s not hurting her it’s just a bit irritating. Anyways thank you for helping me decide. And baby Sunday thanks you as well.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I searched via Google about cats and collars a month or two ago, and a majority of sites recommend the breakaway type (not the elastic kind). Many people won't take it somewhere to check if it is microchipped, and even then, there are many companies that the microchips are through and they still might not be able to find your information. I would give it time and see if they adjust after a week. If not, do you know what brand of collar they had as kittens?