Considering getting a mouse

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am considering getting a pet mouse or maybe hamster. I have two cats though. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have cats and a rodent. I want to get a mouse, but I'd feel terrible if it got killed by one of the cats.

Last year, Prego caught 5 mice, 3 in the house and 2 in the garage, so I know he can hunt and kill them.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will need a very sturdy cage. Do not get the plastic kind as the mouse can chew and wat the plastic and die. Wire cages they can escape from so a glass tank will be best. The top needs to be screen that is welded to a metal frame. The other type the cats will sit on until they push through the mesh.

Mice are nocturnal and will need a wheel to run on. A larger wheel is prefered as the mouse sized ones tend to cause back problems. The wheels will squeek no matter :censor::censor::censor::censor: you do so I hope you are not a light sleeper.

Mice are also rodents that need to chew. Their teeth grow their entire life and will out grow their mouth if they do not have something to chew to wear them down.

Males mark their cages and so have a stronger smell than females.

Good luck with your new pet as they are very sweet and make nice pets.

thespring

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had two Dwarf Hamsters who've sadly gone to hamster heaven now (they died of old age) and two cats at some point.
All went well, nothing happened and the hamster cage was on the floor where the cats could sniff them too.
My cats had never caught any mice though. They just sniffed and got bit on the nose once I think. After that they just ignored the hamsters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband thinks it would be like teasing the cats to have a mouse that they couldn't get at. What do you guys think about that? I certainly don't want to tease my kitties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
with a known hunter in the house I wouldnt chance it ... sorry just me

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

with a known hunter in the house I wouldnt chance it ... sorry just me
You're probably right. I'd feel too bad if anything were to somehow happen. The cats are left alone all day while I'm at work, so it's just too much opportunity.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't let the rodents out of the cage.
I just had 4 adult rats and 12 babies. At first the cats were interested, then they lost interest
I have the tank in my bedroom and when I am gone all day I usually close the door. At night I put a light sheet over the rat tank so the cats don't see them.
Every once in a great while I will catch my cat jump up on the tank but I stomp my foot and they hop off. They know they aren't supposed to be up there.
They just like to watch the movement in the tank.
Sometimes I hold one of the older rats or the baby up to my cat to let them sniff so my cat can see what it is, but they sort of get used to each other I guess.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Just don't let the rodents out of the cage.
I just had 4 adult rats and 12 babies. At first the cats were interested, then they lost interest
I have the tank in my bedroom and when I am gone all day I usually close the door. At night I put a light sheet over the rat tank so the cats don't see them.
Every once in a great while I will catch my cat jump up on the tank but I stomp my foot and they hop off. They know they aren't supposed to be up there.
They just like to watch the movement in the tank.
Sometimes I hold one of the older rats or the baby up to my cat to let them sniff so my cat can see what it is, but they sort of get used to each other I guess.
I could see how it would be quite entertaining for the cats.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three mice and a hamster and everyone here gets along just fine. They are kept in a room that can easily be shut off at night and when we are not home, and kept in ten gallon glass aquariums with strong wire lids on a shelf that Madden can't knock them off of. He loves to watch them for hours and hours, but has never once tried to get into the cages. Its kind of like a kitty tv! LOL

I don't think its anymore teasing your cats than opening a window shade so that they can see the birds in the yard that they can't get to! Madden seems to really enjoy watching the mice! Just take precautions to ensure everyones safety and you'll be fine.

Mice make great pets! You'll have loads of fun with them!

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a mouse for a while, and it was a great pet! The only thing to keep in mind is the males have a VERY strong odor. Otherwise, I really loved the little fellow. He would ride in my pocket, and I'd bring him home popcorn from my job at the movie theatre. My cat at the time didn't even know about him because he lived in a room that was closed to her.

If you can get a super sturdy cage for him (I'd suggest an aquarium with a mesh lid that locks on), then go for it. If your cats can see him, but can't get at him, I don't see it harming anyone. My cat likes my aquarium, but can't get the fishies.

Be warned. If you have a mouse in your hand, and the cat sees it, you may be caught in the middle of an epic battle!

Mice make nice pets. Good luck on your decision!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is going to sound odd, but I have decided to get a betta fish instead. If I get another pet, it needs to be one that does not require a lot of attention, and besides, I'm not sure if I can trust myself to always remember to close the door to the room where the mouse would be. A mouse just isn't the best idea for me right now. I work with mice at work, and I really like them and know they'd be a good pet, just not for me right now.

Hopefully Prego and Polly will be amused by the fish. I haven't gotten the fish yet, but I have a small aquarium going. (I'm supposed to run the aquarium for 3 days before I get a fish.)

Thanks to all who responded to this thread!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

I haven't gotten the fish yet, but I have a small aquarium going.
THANK YOU for getting an aquarium instead of one of those cruelly confining 'betta bowls'.
Yes, bettas in the wild live in only inches of water, but it is in rice paddies spread over many acres.

You'll enjoy him as much as the cats, I'm sure.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

THANK YOU for getting an aquarium instead of one of those cruelly confining 'betta bowls'.
Yes, bettas in the wild live in only inches of water, but it is in rice paddies spread over many acres.

You'll enjoy him as much as the cats, I'm sure.
It's a really small aquarium, 1 gallon, but the girl at Petsmart said it would be really nice for a betta. I don't want to have to change the water every day
Plus the aquarium looks cooler if you ask me. I hope he will be very happy in it. I also got him a fake plant and a toy thing that looks like Roman columns. Now just have to get the fish.....

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 gallon is just about perfect for one little betta.

I started with a 2.5 gal, but my cats figured out how to go fishing in it, so I graduated to a 5 gal hex that's got a completely enclosed top.
Of course I don't have a betta anymore.
Instead I have 9 neon tetras that the cats enjoy.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The aquarium looks really neat already even without the fish

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be sure to have a hood for your aquarium or the kitties may go fishing.
And they can.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no problem with my cats and a "topless" tank full of gold fish, my cats love watch those gold fish and they drink from the tank too.

aries

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goo

I have no problem with my cats and a "topless" tank full of gold fish, my cats love watch those gold fish and they drink from the tank too.
I have one cat that will not leave the fish alone. He is obsessive and determined. He has pushed a one gallon and a five gallon tank off the shelf several times dumping fish everywhere.
I had to go to a 10 and 20 gallon tank that he couldn't move.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also nice not having cat hair clogging up the filtration.

I never had a hood on my oscar tank, until one of the fish actually leapt up and bit a cat on the nose.