Considering Declawing

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, brother and sister, and they are about a year and a half old. I am considering declawing my boy cat because ever since we got him, he will not stop scratching the furniture. He scratches everything, the sofa, the ottoman, our mattress, the rug, the chair, the curtains and anything else possible. And we have tried everything to make him stop. Scratching posts, spraying him, spraying the furniture with scents he won't like, putting double sided tape on the furniture where he scratches, regularly trimming his nails, the soft paw nail caps, EVERYTHING. I don't know what to do anymore and the sound of him tearing up the fabric of my furniture makes me so angry let alone the fact that he is destroying it all. I think he thinks it is a game when I spray him because he comes right back and is purring. His sister has never scratched the furniture a day in her life she always uses the scratching post (which there is one in every room) so I don't understand what his problem is. But I am so close to declawing him. Some people may be willing to let their cats wreck everything they buy but I am not, it drives me insane. Of course I don't want to have to do this because I realize it is painful but I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have anything else they've have tried and it worked for you?

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi jbd630, welcome!!

I know it's frustrating, but spray bottles and other forms of punishment (excessive yelling, etc) are generally ineffective training tools. In fact, such actions can actually make whatever behavior you don't like, WORSE.

Consider this: cats scratch things to mark territory, claim ownership, and to feel confident and safe with places that smell like them. The spray bottle can make a cat feel unsafe or even afraid. See the problem?

Scratching on everything may mean he feels like he owns nothing. So some questions: where does he sleep during the day? at night? do they share a litterbox? Any problems there (spraying, pooping outside it, etc)? Are there strays or feral cats coming around upsetting him?

Some general advice to start with:

- For scratching posts..the bigger the better. Ideally you want a couple of cat trees, at least 4-5ft tall, in areas where he already likes to hang out / sleep.

- Teach him to scratch the trees. Use an interactive toy like Da Bird to get him to run up and down the trees, lay in them, play, and scratch. When he looks like he is about to scratch on something bad, give him a firm "No", but don't shout. Immediately go scratch on the tree yourself while calling him over. Don't pick him up and take him to it. If he scratches on the tree, give him praise and maybe even a cat treat.

- Reinforce his ownership of the trees. Place towels in places he likes to sleep, let him sleep on them for a few days, so they start to smell like him. Then put those towels on the top of the trees.

Hopefully we can figure out why he's acting out this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your suggestions! He has two cat towers he likes to sleep on and one chair that he scratches he tends to sleep on that a lot. We do have two litter boxes for them. There has been no issues of going outside the litter box. And we do have a few stray cats in our neighborhood but if he is looking out the window and sees them he doesn't react at all or do anything so I'm assuming that doesn't bother him. I have used treats on the scratching posts and will continue that but I'm interested in trying an interactive toy!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A loose blanket over the furniture he uses so he can't get a grip on it? Different types of scratchers? How often do you play with him, bored scratching or scratching for attention would be normal.

Just because he doesn't puff up at intruders in the yard doesn't mean they don't upset him. You could put motion sensor sprinklers so that the other cats don't come in your yard. Maybe leash train him so he can go out and scratch trees instead.

If the scratching is for scenting then declawing will make it worse. Instead of tearing up your furniture he will pee on it. In fact, declawing leads to all sorts of problems. Including but not limited to: Biting, peeing outside the litter box, arthritis and behavioral issues. I would honestly go as far as to say you should rehome him if you value your furniture that much, feel you have tried everything and care for him. Declawing is not an option in any situation in my opinion.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to judge you regardless of your choices but I do feel he is outside of the declawing timeframe.

There is a window of time where declawing will have a lesser impact on the cat. The is is between about a month old to a year. Since he already knows how to use his claws he will have a harder time adjusting.

I would not recommend rehoming him. He is an adult so it would be hard to find someone who would adopt him. Also he has a bond with you already.

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We play with him often and he is always playing with his sister. Also I have a fenced in yard so I do let him outside when I'm out there and he doesn't scratch the trees. I know the negatives of getting a cat declawed which is why I haven't done it yet and why I'm asking for suggestions. But I'm not going to rehome him. That wouldn't be a much better option. I do not value a piece of furniture more than my cat, but I do value not going broke having to replace expensive things in my home more often than I should, only to have that destroyed as well

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some scratchers that fit the corners of your sofa and backs of chairs. I have a piece of poster board on the back of a chair with double sided tape.
One of the problems is his scent is not on all the places he scratches. My cats seek out the horizontal cardboard scratchers. Loose covers were mentioned they would be a good idea while you use redirection to teach him to scratch where he is supposed to. Keeping his nails trimmed minimizes destruction.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is not just painful immediately after surgery; it can be permanently damaging. Your cat can use his teeth to be equally destructive, and may begin to poop, pee, and mark outside of the litter box. On top of all of that, he may develop pain for the rest of his life. There's no telling whether he'll take that out on his sister.

I would keep looking for alternative scratchers that your cat might enjoy more. My cat ignored vertical scratchers but loves the flat cardboard options.

Your cat sounds bored and like he's looking for your attention. You reprimanding him is registering as attention. Try positive rewards and more play.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One scratching post in each room is not enough, with two cats I would have at least 2 in each room so they can each put their scent on their own. If his sister is already putting her scent on the post in his mind that can mean he doesn't own it. Another option that seems to work about 75% (probably since my husband and dogs move them) is putting a scratching post at the corners of the couches and chairs where he scratches. I know it's weird, but for some cats a post a foot a way is not the same as one exactly where they want to scratch. I have one cat that will use the post if it's in front of the corner he scratches, but if it's been moved off to the side he will use the couch:argh:. You also say he claws the curtains, well that to me sounds like he is trying to mark the window area with his scent too (possibly seeing strays outside), so try putting a cat tree or scratcher there too. As for clawing the mattress, do you also have a scratching post in the bedroom? I have one right next to the side of the bed that one of my cats use to scratch.

Another thing is not all cats like all kinds of scratching surfaces, have you tried different materials (wood, carpet, sisal rope, sisal fabric, cardboard, jute rope, etc) and angled, horizontal, and vertical scratchers? He may just prefer the feel of the fabric on the couch over whatever you are using for scratchers.

The covers over the furniture can work some too, I use thick blankets over my couches, it makes cleaning easier too. If you are handy with crafting/sewing stuff you could also make covers for the furniture that loop/fasten around the legs of the couch or chair so it is covered to the point the cat can get under the covering to scratch. I know you can buy covers, but you may need to reinforce them to handle some scratching while you work to redirect him.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you cat likes vertical posts you need to get the tallest you can find. Most are not only way too short for the cat to stretch out on they tip when they start scratching.

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for suggestions!

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat sounds bored and like he's looking for your attention. You reprimanding him is registering as attention. Try positive rewards and more play.
Thank you for your suggestions, so should I not give him attention then when he does scratch the furniture?

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One scratching post in each room is not enough, with two cats I would have at least 2 in each room so they can each put their scent on their own. If his sister is already putting her scent on the post in his mind that can mean he doesn't own it.
Thank you that is a good idea, he does use the scratchers once in a while but maybe I have to get a seperate one. And for my mattress I do have one near it but not right next to it. I'll have to move it and see if that helps

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is illegal where I live and in many parts of the developed world because it is inhumane. I honestly don't understand how anyone could contemplate such a thing or how vets, who I assume love animals could do it.

Cats are animals, scratching allows them to communicate, it makes them geel good.

I believe there is a chance of your cats suffering from arthritis. I have arthritis which has me walking with a stick. I would never subject my cats to the likelyhood of having to deal with the amount of pain I have to deal with.

I certainly do judge anyone who declaws their cat.

jbd630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Declawing is illegal where I live and in many parts of the developed world because it is inhumane. I honestly don't understand how anyone could contemplate such a thing or how vets, who I assume love animals could do it.

Cats are animals, scratching allows them to communicate, it makes them geel good.

I believe there is a chance of your cats suffering from arthritis. I have arthritis which has me walking with a stick. I would never subject my cats to the likelyhood of having to deal with the amount of pain I have to deal with.

I certainly do judge anyone who declaws their cat.
I did not ask for what you think of people who declaw

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to judge you regardless of your choices but I do feel he is outside of the declawing timeframe.

There is a window of time where declawing will have a lesser impact on the cat. The is is between about a month old to a year. Since he already knows how to use his claws he will have a harder time adjusting.

I would not recommend rehoming him. He is an adult so it would be hard to find someone who would adopt him. Also he has a bond with you already.
ITA. Not only will he have a harder time adjusting but I believe the surgery and recovery is harder when they're older. And I also agree that if you take him to a shelter (hopefully a no-kill one!) he'll probably live the rest of his life there.

I think you've gotten some great ideas - cover the furniture to protect it, add scratching posts, etc. Our cats never liked scratching posts but my mom's do. She puts catnip on them and teaches the cats how to use them by rubbing their paws on them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not ask for what you think of people who declaw
I hope that we have given you some ideas. I also hope you can see why declawing elicits the concern you've gotten here.

To me, it doesn't seem like a fix for you or the cat. I think you've got a lot of other alternatives to explore!