Considering 3rd Cat - Matchmaking advice

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I might be moving to a bigger home this year and considering whether to take on a third cat if that happens. Our current home is tight with our 2 cats, there isn’t space to add another litter box, feeding zone etc.

Both cats are neutered males and they are both turning 8 this year. They are not brothers but they are pretty well bonded. They play together, groom each other occasionally and snuggle when it gets cold.

Our orange boy is large, healthy and very playful. He was our first cat. He is more dominant and has reacted aggressively to a mom and kittens we fostered in the past. He sometimes mounts our other cat and bites his neck as a dominance thing. He wants to play more often. He lived outside for a bit when he was a kitten before we got him and still tries to escape sometimes.

Our tabby boy is on the smaller side and dealing with IBD. He is on a special diet and medications. One med is for worsened anxiety due to his illness. He actually loves other cats and is super friendly, he was great with the mom and kittens. We adopted him because the shelter helped us match their personalities, when it became clear that our orange cat needed a playmate.

I have some optimism we could add a third cat because we have a stray boy that hangs out by their catio sometimes and they all get along well. My main concern is triggering aggression in our orange cat and that he takes it out on our sick cat and makes him worse.

I’m open to any kind of cat that could be a good fit and interested to hear any suggestions. Thank you!

Last edited:

Theodaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if you could adopt the stray boy cat that hangs out by the catio since that kitty seems to need a home and your kitties already seem to accept him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you could adopt the stray boy cat that hangs out by the catio since that kitty seems to need a home and your kitties already seem to accept him.
I would love to take him, but maybe stray isn’t the right word. He has about 3 or 4 families feeding him as an outdoor cat. A couple of them already tried to keep him inside and he hated it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A young female may be a better fit. Usualy the opposite gender works best at least in my experience. Young but not kitten young. 1 year or older. your cats are technicaly seinors so likely would not tollerate a high energy animal as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A super chill not very active cat that has recently demonstrated they aren't bothered by other cats would be the best shot. But be cautious of what shelters and foster homes tell you. Also, the stray thing is a positive to be sure, but its potentially different in your house I think. Two eight year olds, TBH I'd take the under, meaning I'd bet that no matter how hard you try to match em, I'd bet on a stressful period perhaps more problematic and lasting longer than you'd like. But the relationship with the stray is encouraging, so hopefully I'm wrong.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they other homes have cats the stray got along with already? Is the stray neutered? How do they know he "hated" it?

I think if you consider the strays personality that you'll come up with an idea for a cat who will get along with them.

From your post you'll want a cat who has experience living with other cats, is confident but not dominant, and unreactive to other cats. The new cat should like to play with other cats and look outside. (Shared hobbies) One from a foster home to your home would be best. Fosters are usually better set up to know a cat's personality. Do ask how long they've had the cat though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies!

Regarding the "stray" boy, he has many names but we can just call him Black Cat. We got him neutered a few years ago when it became clear that his "owners" were not going to. That family said they tried to bring him inside and he would always scratch at the door and cry and try to get out. We have another neighbor behind us who said that he sometimes comes inside their house and hangs with out their dog. As far as I know none of the houses where he hangs out have other cats. I think at least one of them has some sort of sheltered space for him when it gets really cold. He has come into our house briefly a couple of times before, but only if our cats are away. If our cats approach Black Cat he runs back outside. They all seem to have a pretty good understanding that outside belongs to Black Cat and inside/catio belongs to our cats. There was some hissing between Black Cat and our orange cat when he first showed up but that has not happened in quite awhile. Black Cat also sprays because he was neutered late. I think he is probably around 4-5 years old. He is well fed from the other neighbors, we only give him treats.

All that being said, I agree that Black Cat overall has the right personality. He is confident but not reactive, chill and calm. This is great advice to look for a foster cat with similar traits. Thank you!