Connecting to Wireless with HP Pavillion X16

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying to help a friend (remotely).  She has wireless on her desktop, but can't connect on the new laptop she just got.  I know nothing about HP and I can't find anything when I google.  Is there some trick to connecting?  Any help will be appreciated.

lovemyboocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In order to connect any device to wireless you need the SSID  and a password. she needs to call the tech support of her wireless provider. they can help her set it up and best of all it is usually painless :)   

lovemyboocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh forgot, once she gets it all set up tell her to be certain she retains all the information they give her. the ssid, the key, and the password. if it ever goes out and they do occasionally ,

she will need all of it to reload. hope this helps :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! I tried to send a message here this morning but it doesn't look like it went through.  I'll pass the advice along and hopefully it will help her, don't think she's too technolgically savvy.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be the same steps as her desktop.
Lower right hand corner should have a series of bars that get taller with each one. It will probably have an 'x' over it since she is not connected to anything. Click on it and then select to Connect to a Network. Then just have her pick out her network from the list, put in her password if she has one, and voila! :)

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Minka is correct, I've had troubles connecting to my wireless networks at home using my work laptop, using a home laptop should be fine although using a work laptop is a little different, what with certain restrictions and such.