Conjunctivitis

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat was showing signs of conjunctivitis so I took the cat to vets, vet said conjunctivitis and gave some eye drops to treat.

Conjunctivitis still showing after the course of eye drops. Took cat back to vets, vet recommended they do swabs from the eyes. Vet said he leaning towards chlamydia infection.

Waited 12 days for results, negative for everything chlamydia, harpes virus, calicivirus infection.

Vet says as cat is still showing clinical signs he is going to treat the cat with medication for chlamydia as he still thinks cat could have that (even tho it was negative for that)

Do I accept the medication and start the cat on it? Knowing full well tested negative?

What other test can I ask for? Will a blood test help maybe?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is far away from anything I know about, but given the results, you probably need to go further with testing. Perhaps, through a vet that specializes in ophthalmology. This might be a hidden issue unrelated to a virus/bacterial infection.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a longtime owner of cats with big eyes I’ve dealt with eye infections quite a few times. Think of it this way - Regardless of the name your still treating a stubborn bacterial infection, so you’ll need a more aggressive course of antibiotics and eye drops/ointment to take care of it. Bacterial infections like Chlamydia are pathogens, they survive because they’re capable of becoming dormant quickly and coming back with a vengeance, in your case it could infect the entire respiratory system, so your Vets being cautious.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What medication did they treat with? The only one I have used that works was an ointment. Terramycin. you can get it at any pet med site and on Amazon.