Conjunctivitis Initiall Treated With Steroids- Long Story

silversmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor baby went in for teeth cleaning on 6-29. When he came home I knew something was wrong. He was mouth breathing. Took him back to vet on next day, saturday and was dismissed. Vet said nothing wrong. He continued mouth breathing and drooling a lot. Took him back following monday, they said he had esophagitis, treated for that then he got uri...then conjunctivitis.
They initially treat conj. with steroids for 6 whole days, then terramycin, then/now tobramycin. This been going on since 7-11. My baby's face is different. His nose is no longer black with little black dots. It's smooth and brownish in color...it looks like he has grey hair all up to his eyes...I hope I am making sense. I just want to know if/what kind of damage did the steroids do and will his face eventually return to normal?? He's a beautiful himalayan

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry you're going through this!!
Do you happen to have pictures from before, and then now? How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

How old is your cat? Otherwise, how is he now--is he eating, drinking and using the box?
Do you have a different vet you can speak with, or even maybe a university veterinarian medical department?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

silversmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm so sorry you're going through this!!
Do you happen to have pictures from before, and then now? How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

How old is your cat? Otherwise, how is he now--is he eating, drinking and using the box?
Do you have a different vet you can speak with, or even maybe a university veterinarian medical department?
Silver now.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silversmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My avatar is a pic of him from 3 months ago.

Thank you for your empathy.

This pic is of him as of a couple days ago. He is 10 or 11 years old. Yes, he is eating...i feed him Weruva canned and raw.
This morning his eyes are a little red, still, and his nose is drippy. He is finally coming off the pain med shot the vet gave him on Monday. He goes to the bathroom just fine.

I don't know who else to talk to. They will all say 'bring him in' and I don't want to take him anywhere unless i absolutely have to for at least a week or 2 because we have been back and forth soooo many times now. He needs normalcy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you take him in to the bathroom and run a steamy shower, to help with his nose?
I guess it's possible that the hair on his face will grow back dark again, I don't know...
Otherwise regarding steroid effects, keep an eye on him and maybe if need be, find a different vet then. Hopefully he'll be ok :redheartpump: