Conjunctivitis has spread!!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello there, my vet is closed at the moment, so I wanted to just come on here and get a few answers perhaps.

Stella has conjunctivitis in her right eye. I immediately took her to the vet as soon as I noticed it, and they gave her Neo-Poly-Dex drops to use ( one drop every 12 hours). I’ve been using the drops for a week now, and they brought the swelling down; but there’s still discharge. The biggest problem... I’m 99% sure it’s spread to her left eye 😫😫

my question is... can I use those drops and start doing both eyes? Or should I wait until next Friday, because I made another appointment for her?
Would I be doing any hard by putting one drop in her left eye as well?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Next Friday is a long time to wait. Since you have already seen the vet and they prescribed drops for Stella can you give them a call to ask your question about the left eye?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Checking with the vet is always best. Call, text and email them now to see if you can get a quick reply. Be gentle but try to keep her other eye clean if it becomes matted up. If it becomes stuck closed, just use a clean, warm, wet cloth to soften the crust and help her to open the eye. Make sure to wash your hands well before touching either eye so nothing spreads.
The thing about using the bottle of drops is that if you have touched the bottle to her infected eye and contaminated the tip, if she does not have conjunctivitis in her other eye, she may get it. Keep watch on her eye and see if it progresses to become worse until you can get professional advice. Please do post back and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Next Friday is a long time to wait. Since you have already seen the vet and they prescribed drops for Stella can you give them a call to ask your question about the left eye?
I did call, the vet was already gone for the day and won’t be back until Monday :( they left a note for him to call me though

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Checking with the vet is always best. Call, text and email them now to see if you can get a quick reply. Be gentle but try to keep her other eye clean if it becomes matted up. If it becomes stuck closed, just use a clean, warm, wet cloth to soften the crust and help her to open the eye. Make sure to wash your hands well before touching either eye so nothing spreads.
The thing about using the bottle of drops is that if you have touched the bottle to her infected eye and contaminated the tip, if she does not have conjunctivitis in her other eye, she may get it. Keep watch on her eye and see if it progresses to become worse until you can get professional advice. Please do post back and keep us updated.
I did call the vet right away, but he’s out for the weekend until Monday. They left him a note with my concern and said he would call me Monday. What I did tonight was clean her eyes, both of them with warm water and those little cotton pads, and I just put the drops in her right eye. I haven’t done anything to the left other than clean it. I will continue to clean it twice a day, possibly even use camomile as I read that seems to help with inflammation. I have not touched the bottle to her eye at all, I just am scared to make it worse😢 I hope it won’t get too bad, I’ll try to keep it clean until them. My poor baby, she’s really been getting put through the ringer these last few weeks

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing by calling and since the vet has already seen the kitty, hopefully, you get a quick response. For now, just try to keep Stella comfortable. I am so sorry she has been having a hard time. I know that means that you have too. Sending love and healing purrs to you both! :vibes::redheartpump::purr:
We’re here if you need us. If she seems drastically worse, call the vet again and stress the fact that you need to hear back.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on how serious the left eye looks you may want to wait until Monday. I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird that you don't want to contaminate the tip of the bottle of eye drops. If it starts to get worse can you call an emergency vet and ask whether it can wait until Monday?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing by calling and since the vet has already seen the kitty, hopefully, you get a quick response. For now, just try to keep Stella comfortable. I am so sorry she has been having a hard time. I know that means that you have too. Sending love and healing purrs to you both! :vibes::redheartpump::purr:
We’re here if you need us. If she seems drastically worse, call the vet again and stress the fact that you need to hear back.
I hope so too, if he doesn’t call me by mid Monday, I will be sure to make a follow up call. I hate knowing that any of my kitties are in pain or uncomfortable 😞😞 thank you for the love and the kind words❤❤ Stella and I both appreciate it! She’s all tucked in for the night and I cleaned her eyes again before bedtime

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depending on how serious the left eye looks you may want to wait until Monday. I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird that you don't want to contaminate the tip of the bottle of eye drops. If it starts to get worse can you call an emergency vet and ask whether it can wait until Monday?
I will make sure to do that, thank you! I won’t be putting any drops in the newly infected eye until I can get her to a vet

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if you have ever had conjunctivitis but the pain is not unbearable. I know you don’t want Stella in distress so if the symptoms continue, certainly call the vet again, or if needed, another vet. You can always explain to your vet that you don’t want to wait and ask if they can get you in anywhere to get relief. I kind of feel like they may give you something for her if there is a problem fitting her into the schedule and they can still see her on Friday. She is settled for now and you have given her love and comfort. Go rest so that you’ll be fresh for new purrs when she awakens.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if you have ever had conjunctivitis but the pain is not unbearable. I know you don’t want Stella in distress so if the symptoms continue, certainly call the vet again, or if needed, another vet. You can always explain to your vet that you don’t want to wait and ask if they can get you in anywhere to get relief. I kind of feel like they may give you something for her if there is a problem fitting her into the schedule and they can still see her on Friday. She is settled for now and you have given her love and comfort. Go rest so that you’ll be fresh for new purrs when she awakens.
To be honest with you, Stella has never ever had any issues the last 4 years I’ve had her. She’s never been sick, had any eye problems, and has always been healthy, so this is all new to me, which is probably why I worry so much.