Congestive Heart Failure

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on my 16 year old boy Roscoe. He would not let me sleep - every couple of hours he would wake me up and if I did not get up, he would pee on me or the floor near me. I decided to isolate him at night in my spare bathroom with food, water, litter box, and a sleep area. I am getting sleep for a change!

Last weekend I noticed his breathing was rapid. Respirations were 44 and he was laying on his side. I took him to the ER Vet here in Houston and they xrayed his chest. Found lungs with fluid and oxygen at 83%. They got 43ml clear fluid from left side. They kept him in oxygen cage over night and the next morning I took him to a cardiologist. Keep in mind that he was diagnosed at 3 months old with a mitral valve reguritation and a ventricular septal defect. Ironically the same Vet we saw is the one who diagnosed him back in 2002.

This is what the report said: left atrium: moderate to severe enlargement, right atrium: mod enlargement, mitral valve: mild regurgitation, aortic valve: moderate regurgitation. Other valves normal.

Right now Roscoe is on Lasix and Enalapril. Since his BUN has been on the high side over the past year and slowly on the rise, she has him on a low dose of Lasix to see how he does. Next week we check lung fluid and blood work again. I have been checkings respirations twice a day all week and they have been around 20 so I am happy about that.

So with all of that history, any words of wisdom for me from thise who have “been there”?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never had a CHF kitty, but it sure sounds like you are taking good care of Roscoe! So he was diagnosed at 3 months old and is now 16, I am so glad you have had this time with him! I hope you get even more time. Please keep us posted on Roscoe's progress. Surely, there must be members who have gone through this and I am curious to hear what they have to say....
Thinking good thoughts for you and Roscoe!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! Right now I am watching him like a hawk, much to his aggravation. .