Confusion About Stella And Chewy's Feeding Instructions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very true! If it were up to me, she wouldn't be getting any treats, we never give our cats treats until she we adopted our most recent cats, so she associates that with giving them love, and she's pretty good but she gives in when the cats act cute for her. It's tough because she doesn't really see her as overweight, because we've always had obese cats.

I think she'd be ok if she got more exercise. I'm trying to figure out what toys will interest her. She's an ambush hunter (I've actually seen her hunt and kill when she lived outdoors) so she likes to play with the wand toy and occasionally her catnip sock but she's generally not interested in toys unless they're moving around. I've tried automated toys like the fling a string and the weasel ball but she's very noise sensitive and even on the lowest setting the sound of the motor is too loud for her. I've tried app toys with my kindle and she's interested but the problem is she needs to "kill" something and gets frustrated biting at the screen and eventually starts biting at the case so I don't think laser pointers would be a good idea.

sidhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to bring her into the vet anyways to get her checked out for ear mites. I didn't notice anything unusual (and thought if she had them they would have told me since I had her spayed, vaccinated, and flea/tick treated), but last night she started shaking her head and scratching at her ears, so I'm pretty sure she has them. After that I'll have a better idea of her health.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked Stella and Chewy about the calorie content per cup in their frozen raw foods. Here's the amount:

Chicken - 166
Duck - 179
Rabbit - 187

sidhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so she would need a cup a day! I wonder why it's so low calorie?

Small update: she's doing well, I managed to look in her ears and she definitely has ear mites. I havn't been able to take her to the vet yet though.

How bad would it be if I only fed her one kind of protein? I noticed they have Fresh Pet refrigerated food, and I thought maybe I could mix that with prowl food when I try that with her (since apparently rehydrated food can have a weird texture, I think the fresh pet food would give it that bits of meat texture that she likes). However the only flavor in the store for Fresh Pet is chicken, and while Honest Kitchen has both chicken and turkey flavors, my girl has never been fond of turkey.

The canned food diet is going okay. I've just wanted to cut down on the waste/space taken up by all of the cans. Also I've noticed that she's still pretty picky about her food. I read up about it, and apparently rotation diets can encourage pickiness in cats because they learn that if they don't like the flavor they can just hold out for something else the next day.

I feel like she should be ok if she only ate chicken (if I'm using honest kitchen food maybe I can transition her from chicken to turkey) I remember as a kid the cats would get the same kind of food all the time and were fine. Still, it's something that I'm a little concerned about.