Confusing Cat Behavior

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My foster cat will sleep a few feet away from my other cats on the bed, but if they have to walk past her, or she them, she hisses at them. Tonight she and one of my cats were eating peacefully side by side at a double-dish; she turned to look/sniff at him (and I got very hopeful) but when he turned to look at her, she hissed and swatted at him.

Any explanation?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty normal "getting to know you" kitty behavior. She is saying "I don't know you. Keep your distance!".

If it is just hissing and swatting sounds to me like there are no aggressive kitties in the mix so no worries. She may always prefer they keep their distance but as long as there is no fighting it's OK in my book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea, both of my cats are pretty cat-friendly. I introduced them slowly and since she's been allowed into the whole of the apartment, they've even tried to befriend her. But they're always met with hisses and swats from her. And sometimes she'll just chase the older guy out of the room. (I think she has a little Mean Girl
in her)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she's still getting used to the new environment. She's comfortable enough to eat with/near them, but not totally trusting of them at all times. She may also have had to fight for her food before, so she may still be learning that she'll have enough food from here on out, so no need to fight off potential food theifs.