Confused With Diet For Struvite Crystals

slamina2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Izzy was rushed to the vet. hospital in Oct. 2017 with a obstruction and struvite crystals. He was on fluids for 2 nights and Dr. recommended Hills CD, which he's been on since. We have 6 other kitty's so it gets expensive buying the CD and I'm not sure I like all the corn, etc.. He has had no more problems since then. Dr. says it's the way he's built so that must just mean, the narrow urethra.

Since this all happened I've been researching pet nutrition and mainly bladder problems but I get more confused the more I read. Does anyone have any helpful advice for a good diet rather than CD? I do add extra water to his canned food to be certain he's getting enough fluids. So why would I need to continue him on this expensive Hills diet? Thanks to all

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, prescription food is full of what a lot of us consider "junk", BUT it does seem to work well, particularly for those cats who tend to develop struvite crystals.

When you say it gets expensive with 6 (or maybe 7?) kittys, are you actually feeding ALL of them the C/D? Since you are feeding Izzy the canned version of the C/D, can you not just feed him the C/D and feed all the others something less expensive (or am I simply misinterpreting what you've said?).

There are many folks here who have gotten off the prescription foods and then simply closely monitor their furries to make sure they are still on the right track. Here are some of those threads for you to check out:

Food Change Help! Hill's C/d Urinary To Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary

This one is pretty long, but may be worth the read:

Food help please

Canned Food for 7yo Male w/ Struvite Crystals - Ontario