Confused On How Exactly My Cat Died.

deathecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now, this is somewhat hard to explain, but.
my old cat bk had died back in September in 2017, but she died sometime in the night so neither my mother or I noticed her until she was already, way too far gone.
But we're unsure of how she died.
Her neck was tangled in cords, but it was sitting at a weird angle. we also noticed a lot of discharge (brownish, reddish fluid) had poured out of her nose and mouth.

we're not sure if she choked, or had broken her neck. neither of us had the nerves at the time to try and feel around her neck for breaks.
but the cord was tight enough that one wrong move could've very well snapped her neck especially at the angle she seemed to be at, and I had heard meowing that night, which i doubt I would've heard if she had been choking. (and before you say i'm a horrible person for not checking on her due to this, bk would often times meow at night, for usually no reason, almost every night.)

we do have reason to believe she was already near death, due to her... very odd behavior that day. (which included: spending quite a while behind the curtains by the window, laying there. She would not come out to be pet or anything. But after that she spent a good while walking in a circle on my mother's feet while she was sitting at the desk, no laying down or sitting, just her walking in small circles.) she also had off breathing for about 2 years, though because of our financial situations, we were never able to get her checked out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What kind of a cord was it? Was it a window blind cord or curtain cord?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deathecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was neither a window/blind cord, it was an electrical cord.. since we at the time had no real defenses up to keep her from getting behind the tv stand or computer desk.

though that struck me as unusual as well, since. she never really ever went near cords of any kind (even ones that were seemingly harmless)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could have broken her neck trying to free herself. Since she was acting oddly earlier in the day, she may have gotten entangled when she experienced a stroke or a seizure, the walking in circles can indicate some kind of small stroke.
My heart goes out to you, I can't imagine what you went through. There is no way to change the past, I wouldn't dwell on the how she died as much as much as learning from the experience and remembering her in happier times. It's very traumatic to go through something like this. Please know we are here to support you and it helps to talk to those who understand.
You developed a bond with her, a spiritual bond that will tie her tiny soul to yours forever. Celebrate having her in your life for those years, she brought much to your life by sharing your life's journey for a while. You have your precious memories of happier times to bring yourself comfort, she would be the last one to want to bring you sorrow.
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care......RIP beautiful girl. You will never be forgotten and will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope not, but perhaps she bit the cord and got electrocuted? I'm so sorry for your loss.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that BK left you, especially under such circumstances. I read your post on New Cats on the Block and saw your photo of her. She was such a pretty girl - I'm very partial to ginger tabbies, too. :lovecat2: It's clear that you cared for her very much. Such a sad loss, I hope you are able at some point to find comfort in happy memories of your time together.

:rbheart::rbheart::rbheart::rbheart: RIP BK:rbheart::rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:
e1e021e22d13527b81fa25be6e326c68--cat-illustrations-cat-art.jpg