confused about grain and grain free dry food.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep reading that a senior cat should not be on a grain free diet, is this true?

If this is true, then why have her on grain free now? Why not have her on grains all along?

Right now she is eating BB Wilderness Chicken. It has 40% Protein and I was reading that it is way to high for a senior cat.

Also one other question.... what do you think of Dry Royal Canin Adult 27 and Mature 27?

Thanks in advance!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to LOVE the RC senior formulas... but Now IMHO they are just barely premium with all the grain and fraction...

Normally a senior cat eating dry food needs less PROTEIN do to not digesting it as well as a younger cat... This do NOT apply to wet food which due to moisture content it is far easier for the older system to digest ...

Important questions ... How old is kitty in question? My vet who advocates raw and grain free recommends cats over 8 go to a grain containing if still eating dry ... Has the kitty had a senior panel and what were the results?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replay Sharky. She is only 6 but I am just looking to her future. She has not went for a senior panel as she is not a senior cat yet. What age is good to start doing this test and when should I be switching her to a grain food? Which is the best senior grain dry food in you opinion? She does get some wet food now but very little as she barely eats it and it's a waste of money that I don't have.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

Thanks for your replay Sharky. She is only 6 but I am just looking to her future. She has not went for a senior panel as she is not a senior cat yet. What age is good to start doing this test and when should I be switching her to a grain food? Which is the best senior grain dry food in you opinion? She does get some wet food now but very little as she barely eats it and it's a waste of money that I don't have.
I would actually get a base line blood work now if able... Personally , I get blood from the non semi feral s yearly....Many wait until age 8 for the first senior panel( at my vet the regular and senior differ by pancreas function)... 8-10 years for trying grain containing... The foods seem to change regularly ...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I used to LOVE the RC senior formulas... but Now IMHO they are just barely premium with all the grain and fraction...
Is there a different senior dry food that you prefer?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Is there a different senior dry food that you prefer?
Nutro Max for those with out allergies... It has been the least changed since I had to feed a senior food ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nutro Max for those with out allergies... It has been the least changed since I had to feed a senior food ...
What about a cat with allergies to corn?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

What about a cat with allergies to corn?
Depends on the cat... One of mine had corn issues and no issue s with corn gluten another had corn issues and problems with corn gluten... Technically if you know there is a corn allergy then I would be cautious... Note :Corn and Rice have a different gluten than wheat , barley , rye...