Conflicted (long)

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Here, I am, back at The Cat Site! I am still very much grieving the losses of my three oldies last year. I have sold much of my cat supplies, and have been embracing the pet free life.

Well, in the last month or so I began setting up my game cam (critter cam) in order to watch the deer in my yard at night. After a few nights I noticed a seal point adult cat strolling in the yard, and then also a big floofy white with orange kitty. I never saw either during the day.

Last week I was going out at dusk to set up the critter cam, and startled the floofy one. She/he was almost on my porch. She ran across the street and I followed up with some wet food, which went uneaten.

Saturday night I set up food and water on my porch. A possum ate all the food, but both the seal point and floofy made appearances. I decided to change the set up on Sunday and put out an open bowl, and also an auto feeder which was set to open later, after the possum showed.

Imagine my surprise when floofy showed up about 7:15 pm and ate all the food. She tried to break into the auto feeder too. The possum also showed around 11, an armadillo
came through around midnight and the floofy came back around 4 am and ate all the food in the auto feeder.

Last night floofy showed at 6:45. She ate the open bowl. While she ate I slowly pulled up the blinds and sat in the window and talked to her as she ate. She watched me and then got timid and left. I refilled the bowl and she ate around 8 pm and had her third meal around 4 am again. When I went walking at 6 am, I could see her eyes watching me in the undeveloped lot across the street. I talked to her again.

Anyway, this leads me to the conflict. This kitty absolutely needs to be off the street. Winter is coming and we have coyotes in the area. I have contacted the local HS and also posted her photo in the neighborhood FB group. No one is missing her/him. Last night I contacted a rescue. I said I will gladly trap/vet/sterilize and chip kitty if they can find a foster. I think I would even be willing to crate her in my garage for a few days to see if he/she chills out some.

Of course all of my friends think I should adopt the cat. While I have not 100% ruled that out, it isn’t something I really want. I am resenting all the pressure I am getting. Heck, at least I am doing SOMETHING and not leaving her to fend for herself.

Finally, here is the best photo I have gotten so far.
A0B21C54-0F94-452A-BDF4-F9A6D5C188E0.jpeg

Tonight the plan is to feed her again, and also move my trap onto the porch to acclimate her to that. Trapping should be straightforward, and the main worry will be whether she or the possum get to it first. I am not going to trap until I have vet plans in place. I guess I need to call about that today.

Ugh! This is stressful. Thanks if you have read all of this!

Take care,

Ca

PS…And there’s also the seal point. I am sure that is an upcoming saga.
3BE01DCA-2A7A-452F-A7E4-048015425FEA.png

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck trapping!

Follow your instincts about not keeping her if that's what you're feeling. The path of not wanting anything too soon is equally valid to the path of wanting the comfort of a new cat friend. People fail to recognize it and it is very unfortunate.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some of these people probably see it as a 'sign' and that is likely why they are encouraging you to adopt her. Just let them know that you need time to decide for yourself about whether or not to take on a cat now. While it seems odd that there are two cats that have shown up at the same time, it seems very likely they were abandoned and one of them is just a little less leery about being around a human to get food. She probably will end up making someone a very happy caretaker! Hopefully, you can trap both of them over time and get them taken care of. Check around other sites like Next Door Neighbor - there are probably some 'behind the scenes' fosters in the area that might step up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my old high school classmates is a vet tech. I left a message with her to talk about costs, timing and other rescue options. Unfortunately, the vet I met and really liked who did the end of life care with Brillo and Felix died himself two weeks ago today. I am kind of high and dry where are concerned.

You are right, the friends DO think it is a “sign.” I can’t tell you how many cats they have lined me up with in the last year. As I said, I have begun to resent their unhelpful help.

Thanks for the support. Stay tuned.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my old high school classmates is a vet tech. I left a message with her to talk about costs, timing and other rescue options. Unfortunately, the vet I met and really liked who did the end of life care with Brillo and Felix died suddenly at age 45 two weeks ago today. I am kind of high and dry where are concerned.

You are right, the friends DO think it is a “sign.” I can’t tell you how many cats they have lined me up with in the last year. As I said, I have begun to resent their unhelpful help.

Thanks for the support. Stay tuned.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you are very kind to help this cat get off the street, and possibly the seal point as well if he turns up regularly enough. No need to feel that you need to adopt either of them.

The attitude of your friends is pretty typical; most people feel that dedicated pet owners are better off with another pet when the previous one passes and actually expect you to jump at the chance. Believing that everything is a message from the universe helps this mentality along.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
They must be coming from somewhere, too. Can’t wait to see how this tale plays itself out. You are SO doing the right thing; don’t let your friends rush you. Floofy is such a lovely cat, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one quite like it…

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We progressed to doing “blinky eyes.” Tonight a neighbor was mowing his lawn and Floofy was nervous, just ate and ran. Oddly enough she made a beeline to the neighbor’s house where my Felix came from 18 years ago. Something about that house…

I *think* I may have seen boy bits tonight. The cat never raises the tail very high, so I can’t be sure.

I have emailed FIVE rescues. I have gotten ZERO responses. It is frustrating.

Thanks for the continued support.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
‘Kay, now I’m really interested in your neighbor’s house. Are they ALL running to there? Do you know your neighbor?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do tend to run there. She has a greenhouse, a deck and a shed under which I think they hide. She is not a nice person, as she was the one who had Rikki, my raccoon I was caring for, executed. She does at least like cats, and told me a few weeks ago that she only has one old inside only cat left. She is out of state visiting a friend (probably her ONLY friend) right now.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm…sounds like she has one cat that she knows of! 😉 Anyway, good luck w/ these guys, will be interested to know what happens!