Conflict Regarding Four Cats That Arrived After Two Feral Kittens In My Yard

chesh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a major dilemma.

Several months ago, a feral mama had kittens under my mobile home.
Two survived. Mama took off once they were old enough to "fend for themselves"
and soon after had another litter. I trapped Mama (with the permission of the people who were claiming her) once her second litter was "on their own" and the two kittens and had them spayed and/neutered; then returned them to my yard where I continued to provide food and water. Mama left to be across the street where her newer kittens were and they all had been claimed by the neighbors who live there.

So, I had these two adolescent feral kitties .
Which I was fine with caring for.

The food and water attracted what seemed to be every other homeless and feral cat in my neighborhood. I put out more food and water and some friends helped me do TNR with this group.

Four of these guys (one is a gal) decided they liked it at my place. They are quite tame with me. So, I was okay with feeding these four in addition to my two teen agers.

Enter the problem. These four started attacking the two "teens" and chasing them off my property. They have continued to do this. I did not realize how bad this was until today when I witnessed all four hunting one of the "teenagers" until they located her and there was a nasty ruckus and they chased her off my property.
I thought it was only one of the four responsible for the attacks.

The two "teens" continue to come to my yard for food and water, but surreptitiously; and they are always on guard for the four bullies. I hate this. It was these two that
I had special feelings for and wanted to care for properly. Now they are scared and being put at risk of being run over or gotten by one of the dogs in the neighborhood.

If I knew a way to safely re home the four bullies (who are very loving and nice cats when they own the place), I would do this in a heartbeat. These four play together.
I think two of them are from the same litter and the other two from a different litter; i.e. all related more or less. I love them. They always greet me when I come home;
but what I saw today broke my heart.

I have tried feeding the two little ones in a separate area if my yard, but the four
others always find it and take over.

Although these four behave like domestic cats, I believe they have always been outdoors. I don't know if they could tolerate living inside. Plus, they are all very bonded to one another and I would hate to separate them.

It is difficult to re home cats in this area because there are just so many cats that need re homing. I belonged to a TNR group in the area until just recently.

I don't see a peaceable solution here with these six cats. I also have five of my own that are indoor cats.

The two "teenagers" are totally feral. They do come when I call but stay at a safe distance.

I have a shed. I am wondering if the two could be happy living in it. I don't know.
I would have to trap them and keep them from escaping every time I opened the door.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am very sad about this situation.

chesh

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Difficult. What comes to my mind, is, sometimes its possible to talk them down. Esp here, as the four bullies are also more or less friends with you, more then these two young ferales, so if you try to talk them down, explain to accept the others, the chance is decent they will listen. They shall know, you like them, and their food is in no dangeer, but they MUSt accept also the others....

I dunno, perhaps to give them food ONLY if these two are also there and eating.... Or at least, to give them some extra good food, treats, ONLY when these two are there and eating....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for those all those kitties! You do have a difficult situation in your yard. Do the teens have an area in your yard where they can escape from the bullies? sometimes a piece of large pipe for them to hide in works. I definitely agree with lecturing the bullies and any time that you see them acting aggressively, tell them "no" and make an unpleasant sound that discourages that behavior. Also, you could try getting the teens to play with a laser toy to help build their confidence (I would recommend a teaser but the really feral cats wont come close). If you do have to put them in the shed, will you be able to do some climate control? perhaps add a "catio"?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another idea, is to make two two different areas, for them two and them four. So they dont need intrude on each other.

I remember something I read on pigs. The classical stall is a big room, with perhaps 20 pigs in each. And there uses to be a lot of conflicts. but having just a halfwall in the middle of the room, makes it immediately much calmer. The enemies dont need to be in the same room, they can choose to be behind the wall to each other...

I know its somewhat similiar with cats.