Confidence-building Toys For Visually-impaired Cat?

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI all!
I'm back seeking advice once again. You've always been so great before!
I have a long-term foster cat that has issues. She is profoundly visually impaired, has invisible friends (and some invisible enemies), and is prone to spells of aggression. (hence her foster status - she attacked too many volunteers at the local shelter.)
She is doing well in our home (has been with us over a year) but the aggression escalates when there are changes in the household, even minor ones. She won't even come out of hiding for food or for her litter box. If I don't bring them to the room with her, she'll go without.
We tried pheromones, but they backfired. They didn't help blind kitty, but did attract my two other cats (that she usually gets along with) to the same room with her, which agitated her more. I've tried Lickz paw-gel, which helps a little, but not enough.
Long story short, I've been working on confidence-building with her, hoping that it will ultimately help with fear aggression (and have seen modest results so far). I prefer automated toys for now because she'll go after people and hands when she's destabilized. I'm seeing some progress with a lazer tower. But would like to add more variety (I'm afraid she'll get bored with it, and I want to keep the confidence growing). She likes sparkly puff-balls. Her vision makes it hard to give her very fast-moving toys - she can't track them. The hexbug was a failure for this. (That and it got stuck under furniture.) What have you had good luck with?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi?
Noisy toys? Catnip toys, can she still smell things?

Intermittent low volume classical harp music or MusicForCats . com might also help :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crowinghen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The smelling question is a great question. I'm not sure. She seems to sniff and find her food by smell, but she dind't respond to the feliway pheremone emitter. I could try them and see at least.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are not automated, but what about plastic balls with bells in them? They can be rolled on the floor for her track by the sound, and she can bat them around - no one has to touch them after tossing one on the floor.

Or, maybe something in these 10 interactive toys that might interest you?

10 Interactive Cat Toys Worth Owning | Catster

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read the feliway and similar can either sometimes not have an effect or even make matters worse. My boy has zero reaction.

You could take a look at some of these for her, including the link for food puzzles at the end of this post :)

Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

You could try one of these as well;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway as mentioned although diffusers are expensive and not always the answer,

If it's legal where you are, you might want to check with your vet but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try a Yeoww catnip banana - their scent seems to be strongest, and also some crinkle balls since she should be able to hear them.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about this? Make it go around a corner to be more interesting.

Have you tried Bachs Rescue Remedy? It can be put on ears but my skittish cat gets it 2x a day in his wet food.