Cone Of Shame

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi can anyone recommend a good alternative to the cone of shame. my pet got neutered but had to have surgery since one of his testicles had not dropped, so it was basically like spaying. the cone is heart breaking, but as soon as I take it off, after he eats he goes right for his incision. it is heartbreaking, and I cant take this for14 days.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any prior knowledge, since I've never had this situation, but since you mentioned getting the testicle out was like spaying, does this mean there is an incision on his abdomin area? If that is the case, I've heard that people will put old baby clothes on their cat to keep it from touching the stiches.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cones are a necessary evil sometimes. You could let him lick it a little after two days and see if he leaves it alone after a cursory look. But if he is going at it, you might want to but a soft cone out inflatable ring as an alternative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cones are a necessary evil sometimes. You could let him lick it a little after two days and see if he leaves it alone after a cursory look. But if he is going at it, you might want to but a soft cone out inflatable ring as an alternative.
thanks. I've heard the baby clothes thing before, maybe i'll try that (if I can find someone at work with some baby clothes). its so heartbreaking because he also has to be separated from his little brother, and they always lay together but tussle real hard as well. i'll also look into the inflatable ring as well. I take it off when I feed him because he cannot even eat or drink with it on.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. Unfortunately, there aren't easy alternatives. There are two types of cones--plastic and cloth. Sometimes the cloth is better like for sleeping. Sometimes the plastic is better like for getting around. You can take it off for brief periods while closely monitoring the cat and sometimes the learn certain behaviours=cone.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. Unfortunately, there aren't easy alternatives. There are two types of cones--plastic and cloth. Sometimes the cloth is better like for sleeping. Sometimes the plastic is better like for getting around. You can take it off for brief periods while closely monitoring the cat and sometimes the learn certain behaviours=cone.
I think I am going to just have to grin and bear it. as of right now that I know, he has not gone to the litter box at all though, and that concerns me. have to check again after work, but mu husband checked an hour ago and nothing. we have been trying to take it off and monitor when we can, unfortunately we have four cats, and he has to be kept separate so its definitely a juggling act.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
A thrift store may have onsies, that's what my vet told me when my baby needed surgery.

Can you lock him and a litter box in a room? That will give him a chance for uninterrupted rest and it will be easier to monitor the litter box.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely keep it on. Yeah they hate it but it’s better than being restitched up.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that where the stitches are, the cone is your only option here. I have seen monorchid surgery done on colts and it usually heals pretty quickly and without problems. (and they are outside)

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A thrift store may have onsies, that's what my vet told me when my baby needed surgery.

Can you lock him and a litter box in a room? That will give him a chance for uninterrupted rest and it will be easier to monitor the litter box.
He is adjusting pretty good to cone already now he just hates not coming out of the room to play with his brother and cries, ahhh