Cone Of Shame Not Helping :( Please Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She may be missing having a good run. The cone collides with things which would diminish the fun of zipping through the house. She doesn't fit where she once did and it's a bit of a slam on her 'shoulders' when she hits something.

The upside is that she's not a rottie, or a mastiff. Their cones can zen out your house in one afternoon.
She’s gotten the hang of it after wearing it for nearly a month now.
I’m getting worried again when I came home from work today to check her wound. It doesn’t seem to be healing. Just raw like that for the past week. I also used the spray which annoyed her :( I really don’t know what else I can do. I feel really helpless right now knowing how awful my cat must be feeling being in the cone for so long.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does your vet say about it reopening?

Have you thought about getting a second opinion?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called the vet this morning and sent them pictures of the wound. They said “maybe she needs antibiotics”. I not happy about this. On 2nd Dec, I brought her there to have her stitches removed. At that time they should have checked properly if the 2nd wound was healing well or if it was infected. The wound had a scab on that day. I remember them saying “it looked okay.” Today is 12 December, 10 days later it doesn’t seem to be improving. Btw, this isn’t the usual vet I went to years ago. He sold his business to this current vet and have sinced moved to another country.

I think it’s time I seek a second opinion. :(

K Kflowers : Did you watch/monitor your cat’s abcsess this closely when they had it? You didn’t use the cone either. Or am I just overly worried? It’s been almost a month now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, blumarine916 blumarine916 this is long, but not scary and everyone ends up fine. Go make a cup of tea and venture into my life when I was young and not all that learned.

We didn't watch as closely as you do, mostly because we had 8. Cats are somewhat like children, the more you have the more relaxed you are about them. (the secret is if you can't relax you run screaming into the night, hop a freight train and are never seen again.) That doesn't mean we didn't look at it every night. It was the SO's turn to be the nurse because he had to learn sometime. He never mentioned any problems and it looked okay to me when I looked.

What I was thinking about wasn't an abscess. One cat had one of those and we took her in. The vet said due to the place at the base of her tail she didn't want to lance it, time would take care of it. (We were very new to the business then, or we'd have realized she didn't want to do a chainsaw massacre effect in her office. We thought it would be re-absorbed. I know, history degree here.) That night cat lanced it at home herself. She felt better immediately. (I've always felt better immediately when the dentist lances an abscess. ) Kit did it in the enter from the house dirt basement, so that was good too. We didn't take her back to the vet. She was 5 or 6 at the time and healed without problem.

Now the incident I was thinking of.

The place was much bigger than your kit's, about the size of my palm and on her flank. It was shallow. She raced into another cat who didn't realize she was a housemate before he slashed her. He seemed appalled afterward. She never raced around a corner without looking again. He didn't think we needed to take her to the vet, just put peroxide on it. He held her for that. He never made that mistake again. However, we couldn't catch her for a few days after that, peroxide isn't pain free, I didn't realize that. By the time we could catch her she was healing fine. (she was about 2 years old at the time.) She didn't hide, went about her normal life smacking the other cats, but stayed out of reach.

She healed in a week. If she hadn't we'd have taken her in. Now I'd take her in when it happened.

Your current vet leaves something to be desired. They should have noticed it wasn't healing as fast as it should on the first recheck. It isn't right that we all have to double check our vets. No, I didn't say anything because I thought your vet had seen it and it was okay and she reopened it. I'm sorry I wasn't more use to you and your kit.

Since it was infected we should all be VERY GLAD SHE RE-OPENED IT. She probably licked it that hard to relieve the pressure and heat of the infection and it sent you back to the *(^%% vet, who finally ambled up.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to be clear, both cats were indoor cats only. Both recovered quickly, if not we'd have taken them in.

In case it's a different thing, I was referring to hydrogen peroxide, the same thing that hospitals put on shallow injuries on people at that time.