Cone alternatives

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat got stung by a bee between her toes. I took her to the vet and she got an antibiotic shot and he also gave us a cone for her to wear for a few days to prevent infection. She is miserable with the cone on and keeps trying to take it off. I was looking on petco and I saw a “bitter bandage” which is like an ace bandage with a bitter taste to prevent licking. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this or if anyone has tried it on the actual paw pads.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course. Let us know how it works out. BTW I haven't tried the bitter bandage but I don't know how that would work on the paw I would think she would take her other paw and keep pawing at the paw with the bandage on it until she bunches it up and off.. That said I really have no clue though.
I'm sorry your little one got stung by a bee.. I wouldn't have thought a cat would need to be in a cone for a bee sting.
When was she stung?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course. Let us know how it works out. BTW I haven't tried the bitter bandage but I don't know how that would work on the paw I would think she would take her other paw and keep pawing at the paw with the bandage on it until she bunches it up and off.. That said I really have no clue though.
I'm sorry your little one got stung by a bee.. I wouldn't have thought a cat would need to be in a cone for a bee sting.
When was she stung?
Yeah, I wasn’t totally sure about the bandage just because of the placement. She was stung today, a bee got in when I opened the door and it stung her when she swat at it. Luckily she doesn’t seem to be in too much pain, I was surprised about the cone too since a sting is so small. Luckily I’m off of work the next few days so I’ll be able to give her breaks from the cone while Im home to watch her

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I wasn’t totally sure about the bandage just because of the placement. She was stung today, a bee got in when I opened the door and it stung her when she swat at it. Luckily she doesn’t seem to be in too much pain, I was surprised about the cone too since a sting is so small. Luckily I’m off of work the next few days so I’ll be able to give her breaks from the cone while Im home to watch her
Awww poor little lady. At least you will be home with her depending on her tomorrow she may be able to go without the cone completely as long as she doesn't bite at it to scratch it. Just depends on if it is still bothering her. Hopefully it would be like nothing ever happened tomorrow itch wise.. did the vet say how long to keep the cone on?

I really hope turning the cone around helps I think it is because it isn't in their face restricting their vision at least my girl did better with it backwards and I'm assuming that is the reason but who knows lol