Cone after dental extraction?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I haven’t posted in a long time, but here asking for advice.

Chilli had 3 teeth extracted today (all upper premolars - the two teeny-tiny ones, and one of the medium sized ones) due to FORLs. She is home with a cone on that’s supposed to stay on for a week… :O My instinct is to just take it off. She had a lower premolar removed last year and never had a cone, and it healed fine. Same type of suture. Chai never had a cone when she was healing from her FME, either.

But am I overlooking anything? I guess they don’t want her to rub her face or get fur in the stitches or something. I’m just trying to gauge how dangerous/risky it could be if I took the cone off.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had to use a cone on my cats post-dental with extractions. Some vets may be more cautious than others. You can try leaving it off and monitor the cat. If you see any pawing at the face or scracthing, put the cone back on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had to use a cone on my cats post-dental with extractions. Some vets may be more cautious than others. You can try leaving it off and monitor the cat. If you see any pawing at the face or scracthing, put the cone back on.
That’s what I was thinking. Regular grooming and face-washing should be fine, right?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've missed you!

Sparkle got a few teeth removed back in December, and she didn't wear a cone. The vet just wanted to make sure she got her painkillers, but other than that she was good to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've missed you!

Sparkle got a few teeth removed back in December, and she didn't wear a cone. The vet just wanted to make sure she got her painkillers, but other than that she was good to go.
Good to know! Chilli definitely has enough painkillers - I’ve never seen her so happy and calm after a vet visit, lol.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it helps ease your worry, Carleton has had all but one tooth removed. This happened over the course of several dental surgeries but he never had a cone and did perfectly fine. I'm sure Chilli would be much more comfortable without the cone so try leaving it off and monitor her but hopefully she won't need it. :crossfingers: Best of luck, please keep us posted and welcome back.:welcomeback1: