Concerns/questions About Walking A Cat

jaymethy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm interested in starting to train my little guy to walk on a leash (once I get him the necessary vaccines and get him all comfy in a harness), but I have a couple concerns, and I was wondering if any of you had some answers.

First, if he likes going for walks, is that going to make him more likely to dart out the front door when people are coming and going from my house?

I have heard someone say that when cats get used to going for walks, they get destructive inside in attempt to retaliate/convince their owner to take them out. Has anyone had this experience?

Also, has anyone been able to train their cats to come when called, in event that he does break loose when outside?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s a helpful article: Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Some cats who are excited for walks will try to dart out the door. Some cat owners have had success countering this tendency by picking up their cat and carrying them outside, instead of physically walking them out the door. That way, cats learn that walking outside doesn’t mean the start of a walk, rather, being placed outside means the start of a walk.

The most common reason that cats will exhibit destructive behavior is boredom, whether or not they are leash-trained. This article gives some fantastic tips about keeping cats entertained indoors: Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

The good news is, that if your kitty’s harness is secure, he won’t be able to break free. That being said, it is possible to train a cat to come when called, and it can definitely be something good to teach for safety reasons. The way I trained Charlie to come when called is to shake his food bowl and call “Charlie!” Repeatedly until he comes running. Then, I fed him. Eventually, he would start coming just when I call “Charlie!”, even if I don’t shake the food bowl.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I don't have any experience with harness/leash training cats. And abyeb abyeb already posted the link to the article I was thinking of. ;)

There was, however, another thread earlier in the week on the same topic, which may have some helpful suggestions for you: Leash Training

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaymethy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I don't have any experience with harness/leash training cats. And abyeb abyeb already posted the link to the article I was thinking of. ;)

There was, however, another thread earlier in the week on the same topic, which may have some helpful suggestions for you: Leash Training
Thanks, I've already taken a look through all the walking threads posted in the last few months... None of them touched on my questions (as most were about harness type and harness training), so I figured I'd start a new thread.

lostresgaticos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My family and I walk our cats all the time! One of our cats love to try and sneak out and the other doesn't so I would say it largely depends on personality. The do try and convince us to take them out by meowing at us or the door. Much like dogs. One of our cats in particular is often desperate to get out, the one I mentioned earlier Mittens, and sometimes she will run outside if she is fast enough. But our other cats have no problem staying inside when the front door is opened.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about coming when called would be completely reliable. We got our Sqeeker from rescue/foster and he goes out in the yard with us. The first time he tried to chase a squirrel he stopped before we got "no" completely out and listens very well in the house too. I have no idea his foster mom trained him but know it is possible.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I did leash train my female cat Stella. She does not run out of the door if it is opened but she does try to hop the patio wall so that she can go roam...But anytime I see in her little gleaming eyes that it looks like she's going to jump I tell her "no". One thing I will say is that once they have been outside they might whine and cry a bit more than usual because they want back out. When that happens I try to redirect her with play time and interactive toys. She has gotten much better about not always demanding it...But I do make sure that they have treat puzzles to play with, cat trees inside, toys, hideouts, etc...and I make it a point to play with both my cats for a good 20 min before work and I mean play to the point where they both just say "mom I'm done" and lay out on the floor LOL..and I also play lots when I get home. And now I think she knows that when I have time or on weekends that's when we can go out.

*** And as far as her coming when called I would say NO :redtongue: She just looks back at me like "pshhhh mom I'm taking myself on a walk BYE" and then I have to run after her barefoot and chase her around the parking lot..although my neighbors get a kick out of it :lol2:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had two many years ago that were harness trained. They were older, probably around 10 years at the time. They already knew to come when inside the house so being outside made no difference, they still would come when called. They never became door darters but I did always carry them outside. They were never destructive when inside wanting to go out, but like I said, they were older when we started so they were past youthful hyjinks.

ramblinggnomes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a question in another thread and maybe this thread is a better place. In regards to training- My can it 3 and a half and is fine with the leash and fine travelling in the car. I´ve only tried taking her out twice once she was fine for 10 minutes but then jumped in the car and today fine till a man came over, she freaked out and just trembled till I let her back in the car.

My question for you lot who appear to have already got this down! How do I know whether to keep trying because she´ll love it once she´s gained her confidence or just give up and leave her be? How easily did your cats take to being outside once they were used to being on the leash? I don´t have a garden so I have to travel to a quiet place? How did you do it?