Concerned Pet Owner

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm new to this forum I have owned several cats in the past but recently adopted an approximately 9 year old male DSH. He has some mobility problems with his back legs(was that way when I got him) and was seen by a vet less than a month ago. He had blood work done and got a clean bill of health. He did have a slightly elevated liver value but the vet said it was fine and if I was really worried to get it rechecked in 6 months. My concern is on Saturday he started gagging and wheezing and drooling I called the emergency vet and they didn't answer by the time they called me back he seemed fine so I thought maybe it was just a fluke. He had been eating normally and playing, but today he seems lethargic and isn't eating his wet food which he usually scarfs down(holistic natural chicken). He is not overweight and doesn't have any health conditions that I know of except he doesn't poop as often as I think he should probably about every other day but he gets wet food and has a flowing water dish to encourage him to drink. He also has had a weird coughing thing he's done since I got him. I'm really worried but am not sure if he's fine and I'm just being paranoid as he just got a clean bill of health or if something is actually wrong. The coughing goes on for about a minute and occurs at least once a day. Video attached for reference. If anyone has any ideas or any advice I'm mostly just trying to figure out if I should get a second opinion from a vet or what specifically I should ask them to look for.

Attachments

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Try showing the vid to your vet, along with your post above. It feels to me that something is going on, even though his blood work came back ok previously.

If your current vet isn't concerned you could seek a second opinion.

Hang in there!
I would do that too, and keep the video. The video might help the vet because usually they don't do "the thing" they're doing while at the office!
The fact that he's not eating much and is doing this would make me wonder if he doesn't have something going in his upper respiratory. A lot of cats get this, especially this time of year, it kills their sense of smell (which makes them not eat).
The slightly elevated liver enzymes is something to watch, but it also could be the organ meant to get rid of crap and toxins kicking into over drive to try to get rid of whatever it is he has.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that he ate something on Saturday that he shouldn't have? Something blocking his oesophagus or respiratory track?
I would definitely have that checked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that he ate something on Saturday that he shouldn't have? Something blocking his oesophagus or respiratory track?
I would definitely have that checked.
I have been looking at that, as that was my first concern, but he was still eating on Saturday, even when he wasn't feeling well. He has pooped since then, and I looked around and there isn't anything that he is able to eat or get into other than his always available dry food, Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken. A blockage was also my first thought.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been looking at that, as that was my first concern, but he was still eating on Saturday, even when he wasn't feeling well. He has pooped since then, and I looked around and there isn't anything that he is able to eat or get into other than his always available dry food, Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken. A blockage was also my first thought.
He was fine, but then all of a sudden on Saturday morning it started and lasted about 20 minutes and then he was fine again.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd check his toys for any part that could be missing. And other objects in the house.
Even if you don't find anything suspicious, I would still take him to the vet. Fingers and paws crossed it's nothing!

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd check his toys for any part that could be missing. And other objects in the house.
Even if you don't find anything suspicious, I would still take him to the vet. Fingers and paws crossed it's nothing!
I checked all of his toys, it was the first thing I did. I plan to take him to the vet on Thursday since the one by me has poor hours, only 3 hours on Wednesday, and not open on weekends at all. The next closest vet is two hours away and is only open for three hours on Saturday. I confine him to my bedroom with me at night while I sleep, and there isn't anything other than his toys that he can get into and I've checked them all.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice. Since you mentioned you adopted him could you check with the shelter he came from to ask if he had this problem there also? Was he seen by a vet from the shelter before you brought him home, i.e. not your vet but one affiliated with the shelter?

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice. Since you mentioned you adopted him could you check with the shelter he came from to ask if he had this problem there also? Was he seen by a vet from the shelter before you brought him home, i.e. not your vet but one affiliated with the shelter?
Yes I have all of his medical records from the shelter, he did have a cold while he was there but it was supposed to be cleared up when I got him. Which was awhile ago.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have all of his medical records from the shelter, he did have a cold while he was there but it was supposed to be cleared up when I got him. Which was awhile ago.
We have a cat that is 11 years old and gets this coughing/sneezing thing about twice a year. He also reverse sneezes, weird in a cat but he's an otherwise hardy cat.
How recently did you adopt this cat? Do you have any history on his previous life before living with you?
I'm wondering if just the stress of the shelter, stress of a move, stress of a new household was enough to bring this cold back.
Either way I'd re-talk with the vet or get a second opinion.

Pretty cool that you took in a 9 year old cat, too. :) The older crowd sometimes make the best companions, and a 9 year old cat has a lot of good years in them. :wave3:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to his daily cough, did you talk to the vet about it? I’d check if his lower respiratory track works ok (through Xrays), as cough may but don’t have to be a sign of asthma or bronchitis. Good luck!

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a cat that is 11 years old and gets this coughing/sneezing thing about twice a year. He also reverse sneezes, weird in a cat but he's an otherwise hardy cat.
How recently did you adopt this cat? Do you have any history on his previous life before living with you?
I'm wondering if just the stress of the shelter, stress of a move, stress of a new household was enough to bring this cold back.
Either way I'd re-talk with the vet or get a second opinion.

Pretty cool that you took in a 9 year old cat, too. :) The older crowd sometimes make the best companions, and a 9 year old cat has a lot of good years in them. :wave3:
I've had him for about 2 months now, I have no history about his previous life other than that at some point he sustained an injury that decreased the mobility in his back legs, which has since healed and he's in no pain but still has mobility issues. Other than that all I know is that he's about 9 the shelter gave me a range between 6-12 and the vet placed him at around 9. It could be the stress, as the vet believes he like most cats has the herpes virus that could cause a cold when stressed. Just he was fine and now he isn't and it's weird timing as he's been here for awhile and adjusted well. He really likes that he gets a lot of wet food.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When it comes to his daily cough, did you talk to the vet about it? I’d check if his lower respiratory track works ok (through Xrays), as cough may but don’t have to be a sign of asthma or bronchitis. Good luck!
I did talk to the vet but I didn't have the video at the time so it was hard to describe he will most likely be going back to the vet on Thursday and I'm planning on getting some X-rays done the asthma or bronchitis seems possible. Thank you!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did talk to the vet but I didn't have the video at the time so it was hard to describe he will most likely be going back to the vet on Thursday and I'm planning on getting some X-rays done the asthma or bronchitis seems possible. Thank you!
A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth an easier diagnosis.
I hope things go well tomorrow and you get some answers, hopefully answers that require little intervention and leave him feeling better than new :hellocomputer:

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys sorry for the delayed reply he had X-rays done more bloodwork, and a physical exam the vet can't find anything obviously wrong with him. So maybe this is just his normal I did learn that he must have had a very rough life at some point because the X-Rays revealed he had been shot and had multiple pellets in his body from this. The vet did an exam and decided they have been there long enough, and weren't causing any harm or pain that taking them out wouldn't be worth the risk. He is now living a pampered life as an indoor only cat, but I've been a bit upset. It now makes sense that he doesn't like being scruffed as he has pellets in his neck.