Concerned Kitty Mom

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here & have a question about my kitty. I just rescued 2 female kitties the other day. The girl told me they r sisters & the 1 just had kittens 9wks ago she said. I just noticed that momma kitty's teats r full of milk. I have a momma kitty myself I've had for 4yrs & when she had kittens I never had any issues with her. She was an awesome momma! so this new kitty i have is super skinny...skin & bones. She whoofs down the food I give her. Poor thing is starving so my question is, were her kittens taken away from her too soon? Why r her teats filling up with milk? Shes very young too. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't even 1yr yet. I've been keeping a close eye on her. Shes eating great & drinking. Fowl smelling poo tho!
TIA

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for giving those kitties a home :clap2:
Warm compresses should help relieve discomfort. Also, examine the udders and teats for redness and fever - those are signs of mastitis which is both very painful and serious. Reducing her food and water intake should help reduce milk production; your vet can give her pain meds as well as something to help dry her up.
Please keep us posted on her condition as well as any treatment that you try - your experiences shared will be educational for others with similar situations!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for giving those kitties a home :clap2:
Warm compresses should help relieve discomfort. Also, examine the udders and teats for redness and fever - those are signs of mastitis which is both very painful and serious. Reducing her food and water intake should help reduce milk production; your vet can give her pain meds as well as something to help dry her up.
Please keep us posted on her condition as well as any treatment that you try - your experiences shared will be educational for others with similar situations!
Thank u! i woke up this morning to check on her & I felt that her udders are a little warm. I will definitely try the warm compresses! I too had breast fed my children & I had a clogged duct once. Painful! so i see momma kitties r the same too! Velvet (is her name) is such a sweet kitty. Her sister, Comet is a little shy. I'm hoping she'll come around. Shes a sweetie too! I will definitely keep everyone posted on her progress!

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The more I've been feeling around her belly the more I'm starting to question. Her teats are not red or full of milk. But there is just this medium sized lump (why I thought she was full of milk) down by the last 4 teats...near her lady part. I've been doing the warm compress but nothing seems to be happening yet. Could there be something else going on?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had her to the vet yet? I think that would be the first thing to do, as soon as possible. Sounds like she has some problems going on. I think she will need a vet visit to figure this one out.
Do keep us updated, i will be concerned for her!

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had her to the vet yet? I think that would be the first thing to do, as soon as possible. Sounds like she has some problems going on. I think she will need a vet visit to figure this one out.
Do keep us updated, i will be concerned for her!
No I haven't had her to my vet yet. I just got her & her sister 2 days ago & yesterday was when I noticed this lump under her belly. I thought maybe she was still producing milk but as I was putting a warm cloth on the area her teats appear to look fine. Not engorged with milk. And as I was feeling around there it just doesn't feel like engorged breasts. Its warm to the touch too. If it doesn't improve or gets worse between now & the weekend I will definitely get her to my vet. Other than the lump shes eating like a pro & looks a little less boney now.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she is eating well. and yes, i would say a vet visit will be in order. Not just for this, but an all around check up.
Best of luck to you guys. Do keep us updated on her. :heartshape:

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update!

Velvet seems to be doing great! The lump is slightly there but its going away! :clapcat::) other than her having HORRENDOUS gas shes gaining weight very well & is a very happy kitty! :happycat: her sister Comet is doing good too. Shes been coming out & letting us pet her & play with her. Once finances allow me I'm definitely going to get them to my vet & get them checked out & then spayed!:)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they are doing well! And yes a good vet check as soon as you can is highly recommended. The gas could be due to parasites, Giardia, or some such. Anytime a new cat comes home first thing to do is a vet visit, get any issues cleared up as soon as you can.
Enjoy your new cats :)

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad they are doing well! And yes a good vet check as soon as you can is highly recommended. The gas could be due to parasites, Giardia, or some such. Anytime a new cat comes home first thing to do is a vet visit, get any issues cleared up as soon as you can.
Enjoy your new cats :)
Thanks! :) yes i have been doing some reading on the nasty gas & I definitely will get them both checked for Giardia & other parasites. I asked the previous owner if she always had nasty smelling gas & she said yes. So I will definitely get them checked out as soon as finances allow!:)

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes kittens are just really smelly! So glad my cat grew out of it because he used to stink the place up.
Gosh when Velvet passes gas it smells like a sewage factory!:gaah: lol. When my other kitty had kittens 3 yrs ago her kittens never smelled like that. This is a first for me!:confused: these gals are probably around 1 yr old. They r sooo entertaining together:D

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I am so glad that it isn't mastitis. Have you been giving them probiotics to help reduce gas? I would also try a different food, especially if the current food is corn-based.This is not in lieu of a vet check but, rather, a little detective work so that you can tell the vet what you have tried, what works and what doesn't. And since spaying is a priority, I would aim for that; hopefully you have low-cost options in your area.
And we would LOVE to see pictures of Velvet and Comet. :bluedragonfly::angelcat::coolcat:

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I am so glad that it isn't mastitis. Have you been giving them probiotics to help reduce gas? I would also try a different food, especially if the current food is corn-based.This is not in lieu of a vet check but, rather, a little detective work so that you can tell the vet what you have tried, what works and what doesn't. And since spaying is a priority, I would aim for that; hopefully you have low-cost options in your area.
And we would LOVE to see pictures of Velvet and Comet. :bluedragonfly::angelcat::coolcat:
No i haven't tried a different food yet. Currently they r eating Nine Lives dry food & i split a can of kitty wet food between them. Which is Meow Mix wet food. When I go shopping tomorrow i shall find a different food for them

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops! Accidentally hit the wrong button!:eek: lol. As i was saying...yes there is a low cost spay clinic & they will get fixed & shots too:yess: any food suggestions? Im gonna try to post some pix of my lovely ladies!:D

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Grrr! It keeps telling me that my files r too big for me to upload them :dunno: I'll try again later. Comet is a little challenging to snap a pic of but I'll get her tho!:D lol