Concern for FeLV positive cats?! Help!!!

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone, I recently rescued two new female cats from the street around my area. I had been feeding them for over a month and I gained their trust, so it was an easy process. They eat and drink well, the kitten (about 6 months old) looks really healthy, beautiful coat for being a feral kitty, and her bones aren't showing, weighs 2.5 lbs. The Mom cat (around 4-5 years old) has some skin issues (vet said probably because of fleas and her life outdoors, and weighs 7.7 lbs.

I just took them to the vet today and the first thing I had them get done was a snap combo test for leukemia and aids. They both turned out to be negative, HOWEVER, my vet suggested to re-test them both again in 3 months because she said there was a slight mark on both tests for leukemia. She said they are most likely negative but that in case something had just begun to appear it is better to test them again in a few months. I will insert a picture of how one of the tests looked and hopefully someone that already has experience with this test can tell me if I should be concerned at all or if it looks fine? I know what my vet said, and I suppose I won't 100% know until they are re-tested, but I'd like to have some peace of mind in the time being, or if I should prepare for the worst outcome. Please help and thank you!

P.S. I have been rescuing and fostering cats for 3 years now. I then put them up for adoption. I own 5 cats and all have tested negative, as well as all the previous cats I've fostered. I don't have experience with cats that may or indeed are felv positive.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If those are the only two cats you have, then there is nothing special you can do.  Even if they do eventually test positive, they may never develop any disease, or they may live a long time before they do.  If you have other cats, you may want to keep them separated until these two are retested.  However, in general even in positive cats, the disease is not highly transmissible unless they bite each other or wash each other's wounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats of my own inside the house. I am keeping them separated in a crate. Tomorrow I will take them to the vet again but this time so they can take out a blood sample and give me a confirmation during the week whether they are positive or not. I hope they test negative so they can be adopted. Most people don't want to adopt FeLV positive cats. I also don't want them to suffer from it. :bawling2: