Concern for FeLV positive cats?! Help!!!

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone, I recently rescued two new female cats from the street around my area. I had been feeding them for over a month and I gained their trust, so it was an easy process. They eat and drink well, the kitten (about 6 months old) looks really healthy, beautiful coat for being a feral kitty, and her bones aren't showing, weighs 2.5 lbs. The Mom cat (around 4-5 years old) has some skin issues (vet said probably because of fleas and her life outdoors, and weighs 7.7 lbs.

I just took them to the vet today and the first thing I had them get done was a snap combo test for leukemia and aids. They both turned out to be negative, HOWEVER, my vet suggested to re-test them both again in 3 months because she said there was a slight mark on both tests for leukemia. She said they are most likely negative but that in case something had just begun to appear it is better to test them again in a few months. I will insert a picture of how one of the tests looked and hopefully someone that already has experience with this test can tell me if I should be concerned at all or if it looks fine? I know what my vet said, and I suppose I won't 100% know until they are re-tested, but I'd like to have some peace of mind in the time being, or if I should prepare for the worst outcome. Please help and thank you!

P.S. I have been rescuing and fostering cats for 3 years now. I then put them up for adoption. I own 5 cats and all have tested negative, as well as all the previous cats I've fostered. I don't have experience with cats that may or indeed are felv positive.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me that looks just like color seep, which is pretty common for the SNAP tests.

As a matter of being absolutely sure, all cats are supposed to be tested again in 3 months, although most people don't do that. So it's fine to test them again, though I don't think you have to worry too much in the meantime. If you would rather not wait that long to get them adopted out, ask for the laboratory IFA test to be done. That should settle it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you for answering, here is a picture of the precious babies. I have been worrying all day about this and to think I have to wait 3 months will be hell for me! I just HOPE there is nothing wrong. I will be traveling by the end of June on the 29th and I will test them again the day before. If they turn out to be positive I am most certain it will ruing my whole trip. :sigh:
To me that looks just like color seep, which is pretty common for the SNAP tests.

As a matter of being absolutely sure, all cats are supposed to be tested again in 3 months, although most people don't do that. So it's fine to test them again, though I don't think you have to worry too much in the meantime. If you would rather not wait that long to get them adopted out, ask for the laboratory IFA test to be done. That should settle it.