Computer difficulties.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For several days I have been dealing with my computer not wanting to change pages. I run Malawarebytes paid version and Microsoft Security Essentials anti virus programs. Nothing has been found or quarantined by either. I had this problem when I was using Internet Explorer so I stopped and downloaded Firefox. Now I am dealing with this. I have read a little bit about resetting Firefox and also Internet Explorer. Has anyone ever done this or have any idea if this might help the problem I am dealing with

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will it let you download a program? If it will, get AVG Free anti-virus and run it. You might have to download Google Chrome first to be able to get AVG.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I don't quite understand your issue. Do you mean to say that you can't navigate from one page to another using both Firefox and IE? If so, can you attach a screenshot? Also, make sure there are no toolbars or add-ons installed to either program - look in your lis of programs adn uninstall anything that seems fishy. Try clearing your cache on both Firefox and IE as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will it let you download a program? If it will, get AVG Free anti-virus and run it. You might have to download Google Chrome first to be able to get AVG.
Why would I need another anti virus program. I run two on my computer.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I don't quite understand your issue. Do you mean to say that you can't navigate from one page to another using both Firefox and IE? If so, can you attach a screenshot? Also, make sure there are no toolbars or add-ons installed to either program - look in your lis of programs adn uninstall anything that seems fishy. Try clearing your cache on both Firefox and IE as well.
I cannot navigate from one page to another. I quit I/E because my back button wouldn't work. Someone suggested I switch over to Firefox. I downloaded it and haven't had any problems until now. When I click on something like for instance, on this site, try to open a thread, it waits and waits forever and sometimes will not open the page. I don't know how to take a screenshot of that. I do have some add ons in each program, but nothing that I didn't put there or that looks fishy.

My questions here is might it help to reset Firefox or I/E and if I do that, what will I lose if anything.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use firefox also. I don't think there is a way to reset it like to default? But you can restart it with addons disabled to see if it works without them. Then turn 1 add on back on at a time so you can see which one is maybe causing an issue. This is found under the help tab. Only other thing I can think of is to uninstall it and reinstall from scratch. Hope it helps

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use firefox also. I don't think there is a way to reset it like to default? But you can restart it with addons disabled to see if it works without them. Then turn 1 add on back on at a time so you can see which one is maybe causing an issue. This is found under the help tab. Only other thing I can think of is to uninstall it and reinstall from scratch. Hope it helps
This link tells how to reset Firefox to its original status.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cool thanks. Did it work?
I have not done this. My original question in my starter thread is asking if anyone has done this. That is what I am trying to find out before I do it and make a mess. I don't know how it will change things.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to try it right now. I set a restore point first. Stay online for the next 10 minutes or so, and I will let you know what happens.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I am back on. The only thing it seemed to do differently was it reset my zoom to default. All bookmarks, cookies, passwords saved and everything else looks the same.  I am running Windows XP with SP3, and Firefox 21.

I still have my history, checked back to January for correctness.

I would say if you set a restore point, you should be all right.

Edit. I lost all the add-ons like ghostery.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dug up this old thread because I was having some problems with Firefox. I decided to reset it to default. The process placed a file on the desktop with the old program files in it. I read that this file can be deleted if you determine you don't need it. Has anybody ever gone through the resetting Firefox process. What do I need to look for to be sure I didn't lose any files before I delete this desktop file.

Last edited:

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dug up this old thread because I was having some problems with Firefox. I decided to reset it to default. The process placed a file on the desktop with the old program files in it. I read that this file can be deleted if you determine you don't need it. Has anybody ever gone through the resetting Firefox process. What do I need to look for to be sure I didn't lose any files before I delete this desktop file.
You don't need to reset FF to default!  Download the newest version of FF from Mozilla.  Then uninstall your current version, but do NOT delete your personal settings!!  It will ask you this during the uninstall.  Then simply reinstall the new download.  Very simple.

Occasionally FF will pick up a glitch, and the safest way to repair it is to reinstall it after you uninstall.

REMEMBER:  Get the new download BEFORE you uninstall!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need to reset FF to default!  Download the newest version of FF from Mozilla.  Then uninstall your current version, but do NOT delete your personal settings!!  It will ask you this during the uninstall.  Then simply reinstall the new download.  Very simple.

Occasionally FF will pick up a glitch, and the safest way to repair it is to reinstall it after you uninstall.

REMEMBER:  Get the new download BEFORE you uninstall!
Would you please read my post again. I already reset Firefox. I didn't go want to go through uninstall and download because it was too much trouble. I don't see how you could possibly save your favorites if you do this. Anyway, read my post again.

My question is has anyone gone through the resetting Firefox process and if so, what do I need to look for to be sure I didn't lose anything important before I discard the file it put on my desktop with the program files..

By the way, when I did this it updated to the latest version.. It did solve the problem I was having.

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should never have to uninstall Firefox, but just install the latest version. Doing this does not change anything about your settings, bookmarks, etc.

The reset feature does not get rid of bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and auto-fill information but just resets FF to factory defaults. What it will remove are extensions and themes, website preferences and any custom security and toolbar settings you have made. Once you revisit sites where you have made preferences, these will get re-established. You may want to take a look at your toolbars and security level, and see if everything is set up as it should be according to the way you had things. 

You can use the import/export feature to backup your bookmarks safely. This is a good thing to do from time to time, in case Firefox becomes corrupted. Steps to backup bookmarks in FF : http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should never have to uninstall Firefox, but just install the latest version. Doing this does not change anything about your settings, bookmarks, etc.

The reset feature does not get rid of bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and auto-fill information but just resets FF to factory defaults. What it will remove are extensions and themes, website preferences and any custom security and toolbar settings you have made. Once you revisit sites where you have made preferences, these will get re-established. You may want to take a look at your toolbars and security level, and see if everything is set up as it should be according to the way you had things. 

You can use the import/export feature to backup your bookmarks safely. This is a good thing to do from time to time, in case Firefox becomes corrupted. Steps to backup bookmarks in FF : http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Hope this helps ...
Thank you for your answer. Yes this does help. I was not aware of backing up the bookmarks and how to do it. Resetting Firefox gave me the latest version when I did it.
What are the extensions and themes you mention and website preferences. If I understand correctly resetting Firefox only affects the computer settings in Firefox and does not change any picture files, download files, email files, nothing that is actually stored on my hard drive. Is that correct.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your answer. Yes this does help. I was not aware of backing up the bookmarks and how to do it. Resetting Firefox gave me the latest version when I did it.
What are the extensions and themes you mention and website preferences. If I understand correctly resetting Firefox only affects the computer settings in Firefox and does not change any picture files, download files, email files, nothing that is actually stored on my hard drive. Is that correct.
You're welcome ...

Yes, resetting FF does not do anything to your personal data stored on your hard drive. The themes and extensions are the add-ons that you may have added to change the look, feel or function of your browser, from the basic settings. For example if you chose a decorative custom  background that appears at the top of your browser, this is part of the themes add-on. An extension would be a little program like a pop-up blocker that blocks ads when you visit sites or a Youtube video downloader, stuff like this. If you have customized the way fonts are displayed in web pages, this is probably been reset too.  

Sounds like you did the right things to fix this problem, so you are probably good to go now.
Good luck going forward! ...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am having problems with Firefox again. The looks of my Toolbar recently changed. I looked in my programs and see that the version of Firefox I have is 29.0.1. It shows a date of May 9t, 2014. I guess this is when it updated itself. My homepage in Firefox is the Bing Search Bar and that has not changed, but the way the toolbar looks across the top has changed. I don't like it. Also, Firefox is hanging. If I close out all the tabs and try to open Firefox again, I get a message that says Firefox is already running, but not responding. Open a new window or close existing Firefox process or restart system. I always have to restart. Anyone with any ideas what could have caused any of this.
I am running Super Anti Spyware now to see if that finds anything. I also have Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials that scan every day.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kinda flipped when I saw the new format, too. Check in the Tools-Options tab. there may be something changed.