Compulsive Grooming?

fuzzywolf2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my cat Misty has taken up an unusual habit. Whenever I pet her, especially on the area directly in front of her tail (the bottom of her spine), she starts to frantically lick herself. This usually wouldn't concern me, but she's never done it before and her grooming has become almost desperate. Am I just concerned over nothing, or is this something to be worried about?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she doing this only when you're petting that area? If so, it's not obsessive-compulsive behavior, it's just something called "displacement grooming". Basically the cat is being overstimulated by the petting (that's a very sensitive area) and releases the tension by grooming. Just stop petting before she starts doing that, and don't worry about it.

If this is something she's doing all the time, irregardless of petting or not, then it might be an obsessive-compulsive behavior issue. Which requires vet-supervised behavior modification and/or medication. But from your description, I don't think that's the case.

mr potato head

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd suggest a trip to the vet just to make sure that there's no skin condition developing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzywolf2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she doing this only when you're petting that area? If so, it's not obsessive-compulsive behavior, it's just something called "displacement grooming". Basically the cat is being overstimulated by the petting (that's a very sensitive area) and releases the tension by grooming. Just stop petting before she starts doing that, and don't worry about it.

If this is something she's doing all the time, irregardless of petting or not, then it might be an obsessive-compulsive behavior issue. Which requires vet-supervised behavior modification and/or medication. But from your description, I don't think that's the case.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is primarily that spot on her body that causes this particular reaction. And now that I think about it, what you said does make sense. If it is a sensitive spot, that must be why she gives me such an angry look when I pet her there.