Comprehensive cat food poll - what do you feed your cats?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the Innova Evolve has generated a lot of interest and some discussion here already

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Yes, the Innova Evolve has generated a lot of interest and some discussion here already
I must have missed that! My teacher at college said the best diet for cats is the raw diet. As for dry foods, she said that Innova and California Natural are the absolute best dry foods you can buy. With more protein and more calories per cup than any other food out there. Has anyone here ever bought their kitties the Innova EVO?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should have a bag waiting at the fish only store.. I also believe that lps will carry it for me.. I should have tried it for a few days by weeks end.,.. see Fish store is in the next state about 45 min drive each way

jettafer99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As of today, Bella is on Hills w/d for her IBD. Its the only thing that works.. she was on w/d canned, but had to stop.. dry only.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched over to Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and my mom is switching over to that as well. I'd really like to be able to feed my girls Wellness, but I can't afford it right now. I just read about Evo and that one looks amazing too! Prior to Chicken Soup my kitten ate Natural Choice kitten, dry and pouches, and Annabelle at Iams Weight Management (she didn't like Natural Choice).

My rabbit eats Oxbow Bunny Basics/T! Not that she counts, but what the heck!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, we dont have half of those brands in the UK!! Have to admit mine get cat food from the supermarket, although biscuits do tend to come from the vet (well, until this week when my female went off her food!!). I thought that the vets only did prescription wet food, and there isnt a pet shop like the ones you have near me, the only one near me is mainly for dogs and large animals, the only dry food they sell is Science Plan which i didnt like the look of, so the supermarket is the only realistic option. i did look into Burns, but until i can drive to the only decent pet shop (about 30 mins away, and not accessible by bus from where i live), i will have to stick with Whiskas Senior for the male with James Wellbeloved biscuits, and Purina One Senior for the female.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Wow, we dont have half of those brands in the UK!! Have to admit mine get cat food from the supermarket, although biscuits do tend to come from the vet (well, until this week when my female went off her food!!). I thought that the vets only did prescription wet food, and there isnt a pet shop like the ones you have near me, the only one near me is mainly for dogs and large animals, the only dry food they sell is Science Plan which i didnt like the look of, so the supermarket is the only realistic option. i did look into Burns, but until i can drive to the only decent pet shop (about 30 mins away, and not accessible by bus from where i live), i will have to stick with Whiskas Senior for the male with James Wellbeloved biscuits, and Purina One Senior for the female.
Have you tried any of the online pet suppliers? I live in Europe, too, and have found there's a pretty wide variety of "premium" cat food available online, often cheaper than at shops. If you Google some of the brands, that should lead you to suppliers in the UK.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well, Buffy and Willow are on Royal Canin, but as soon as this food runs out (which should be in a couple of weeks, July 1st I'm predicting) I'm going to get them California Natural. Willow's doing great on Royal Canin, but Buffy's lost some of the shine in her coat. Maybe they'll both do great on CN, and if not, there's a few other brands I can experiment with.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

well, Buffy and Willow are on Royal Canin, but as soon as this food runs out (which should be in a couple of weeks, July 1st I'm predicting) I'm going to get them California Natural. Willow's doing great on Royal Canin, but Buffy's lost some of the shine in her coat. Maybe they'll both do great on CN, and if not, there's a few other brands I can experiment with.
Cal natural is great ... mine liked it for a while...

strangeeyeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I marked the first box. Hopefully that's what I was supposed to mark! I feed my older cat Science Diet Hairball Control, and I feed my kitten Science Diet Original for Kittens. Both of my dogs also eat Science Diet food. They have a lot of different types. Gonzo's chunky, so we feed him Science Diet Light food, and Jackson has a very sensitive stomach, so he gets Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs. They have many varieties. I love Science Diet for my animals.

I also agree that animals should not be fed vegetarian diets. I'm a vegetarian, too. I go with the fact that if someone put me out in the middle of nowhere, that I would not be able to successfully catch and kill an animal to eat it. If you put a cat outside (who had not been declawed), he or she would more than likely be able to catch their own food. Their natural instinct takes over. I, however, would not be able to kill an animal and eat it... even if I was on the verge of dying. Animals need meat. Haha, it's hard to explain so everyone understands... Oh, well.

-Emily

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Siamese came at 12 weeks eating Hills Science - she is now on Wellness but likes the Fancy Feast that the sphinxes I am fostering like. I also feed her slightly cooked chicken hearts which she loves!! And as an occasional treat, I feed her human grade tuna. She has also eaten lobster and salmon which she loves and shrimp which she turned up her nose at. Fussy little kitty!!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I bought California Natural yesterday (the Royal Canin ran out faster than I expected: previous bags all lasted until Fridays, and this one should have lasted till July 1st, but ran out on this past Sunday instead). Both cats love it, Willow nearly choked (not really) in her hurry to get her sample kibbles down her throat, and Buffy put a nice-sized dent into her kibbles in the food dish (and Willow later finished it off, lol). Buffy also got started on chewing the bag, so I had to put it on a high shelf in my closet, lol. Best part is, the 4 pound bag is only 12.99, where at Petsmart the lower quality foods (like Royal Canin and Nutro and Eagle Pack) go for 15-20 bucks. I got the 8 pound bag, which was $21, which is a price for a smaller bag (3-4 pounds, of another brand anyway). I'm gonna save so much money! mwhahahahaha!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Well I bought California Natural yesterday (the Royal Canin ran out faster than I expected: previous bags all lasted until Fridays, and this one should have lasted till July 1st, but ran out on this past Sunday instead). Both cats love it, Willow nearly choked (not really) in her hurry to get her sample kibbles down her throat, and Buffy put a nice-sized dent into her kibbles in the food dish (and Willow later finished it off, lol). Buffy also got started on chewing the bag, so I had to put it on a high shelf in my closet, lol. Best part is, the 4 pound bag is only 12.99, where at Petsmart the lower quality foods (like Royal Canin and Nutro and Eagle Pack) go for 15-20 bucks. I got the 8 pound bag, which was $21, which is a price for a smaller bag (3-4 pounds, of another brand anyway). I'm gonna save so much money! mwhahahahaha!
wow that is a huge difference , it is the opposite here .. cal natural is about 15 buck s for 4lbs and nutro is 9

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

I think even the worst canned food is better than the best dry food.
If you do a search here on canned food, you'll find that is often discussed here

akasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kash gets a mixture of Meow Mix, and Iams kittien chow. The iams is what she gets the most of and meow mix is what she was used to eating.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think canned cat food is better than dry cat food because Sunshine is allergic to corn. It is much easier for the cats to eat low-carb if they are on canned cat food.