Comprehensive cat food poll - what do you feed your cats?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will call and ask give me a few days... biggest issue I understand german but cant read it...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay I figured out that in the UK , nutro has merged the natural choice and the max and called it choice... the salmon choice is the one Jcat liked... I am still waitng for an email back..

catherine77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found it very strange when I got my new cat, as my old one used to like to eat anything I ate, i.e. corn, potato and the like (obviously along with regular cat food meals), but Colin only likes to eat cat food, not even cooked fresh meat or fish - weird!

swngdancir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my two boys (Smudgie and Nermal) Chicken Soup ever since it came on the market a couple of years ago, but I've noticed that Smudgie will vomit occasionally - and the food will be either whole or partially digested. I used to think it might be because I was only feeding them twice a day and that he would scarf down his meal too quickly causing the vomiting. So I started free feeding and for about two weeks the vomiting stopped and now it's starting back up again. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the food is too rich? Is it possible to have too much protein in their diet? He doesn't show any signs of being ill - he's a very active, happy cat. Also, I can't spend any more on food than I do now ($21 a bag for 18 lbs) so things like Wellness, etc are out...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by swngdancir

I've been feeding my two boys (Smudgie and Nermal) Chicken Soup ever since it came on the market a couple of years ago, but I've noticed that Smudgie will vomit occasionally - and the food will be either whole or partially digested. I used to think it might be because I was only feeding them twice a day and that he would scarf down his meal too quickly causing the vomiting. So I started free feeding and for about two weeks the vomiting stopped and now it's starting back up again. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the food is too rich? Is it possible to have too much protein in their diet? He doesn't show any signs of being ill - he's a very active, happy cat. Also, I can't spend any more on food than I do now ($21 a bag for 18 lbs) so things like Wellness, etc are out...
d for most but sounds like yours may beifit from a simple recipe ... look at nutro , natual balance the venison one and some royal canin.. these will be about the same price and they have one or two meats and grains vs the four and four I believe chn soup has

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what, one of ours does the same thing with this food. We have 5 and everyone has awesome coats and very healthy. I thought it was because she was a feral kitten and gulping...but now I suspect the salmon and richness.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by swngdancir

Hi,
If your cat is not a senior, and is in good health, no I do not think you can have too much protein in their diet...far from it (imo). Even with a senior cat with kidney failure there are varying opinions on when to restrict protein (at what stage of crf), versus paying a lot of attention to the quality of protein fed.

As Sharky suggested, you may do well trying a food with fewer proteins used, and fewer carb sources...the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul has the following main ingredients (listed in order): Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, egg product. So I count 7 different carb sources (counting the flaxseed as a fiber source).

The Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea which is formulated for cats who may react to carbs often used, is unfortunately expensive - one online source has it for $22+ for just 10 lbs.

A more affordable alternative might be: california Natural Chicken & Rice click here to read ingredients

the pricing I found at one online site for this was 16.5lb for $25.95 which may be high, I'm not sure. On the website for this product, there is a store locator if you wish to find a local store that carries this.

Hth,

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Hi,
If your cat is not a senior, and is in good health, no I do not think you can have too much protein in their diet...far from it (imo). Even with a senior cat with kidney failure there are varying opinions on when to restrict protein (at what stage of crf), versus paying a lot of attention to the quality of protein fed.

As Sharky suggested, you may do well trying a food with fewer proteins used, and fewer carb sources...the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul has the following main ingredients (listed in order): Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, egg product. So I count 7 different carb sources (counting the flaxseed as a fiber source).

The Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea which is formulated for cats who may react to carbs often used, is unfortunately expensive - one online source has it for $22+ for just 10 lbs.

A more affordable alternative might be: california Natural Chicken & Rice click here to read ingredients

the pricing I found at one online site for this was 16.5lb for $25.95 which may be high, I'm not sure. On the website for this product, there is a store locator if you wish to find a local store that carries this.

Hth,
Natural Balance by me is about 12 for the 6.6 and the 20 is about 30
Cal Natural is not carried in my local area ..

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friskies Chef's Blend and a bit o canned each day because my mom's cat is really old and has to eat canned food but we cant keep them away from it so they nibble that too.

mercie_me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was feeding my cats a walmart brand high premium cat food,(I didn't know better and thought one was just as good as the other) and they seemed to like it, but I got worried when my Duchess started losing weight, when I found out she was a queen I switched to the kitten food in the same brand but it did nothing for her, So I am currently feeding both of my mamma's Nutro kitten and the adult Nutro premium wet food. I have never heard my cats growl over food before but since switching , when I give the wet food they scarf it so fast and growl at any movement by there bowl... Its so cute... They don't seem to care for the nutro kitten I chose, but there are like 3 different kinds of the kitten food in the nutro brand I'm clueless as to which one to get. I want the best for My babies, IE no fillers, and am looking for a high calorie one to help Duchess gain some weight, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Mercie_me

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mercie_me

I was feeding my cats a walmart brand high premium cat food,(I didn't know better and thought one was just as good as the other) and they seemed to like it, but I got worried when my Duchess started losing weight, when I found out she was a queen I switched to the kitten food in the same brand but it did nothing for her, So I am currently feeding both of my mamma's Nutro kitten and the adult Nutro premium wet food. I have never heard my cats growl over food before but since switching , when I give the wet food they scarf it so fast and growl at any movement by there bowl... Its so cute... They don't seem to care for the nutro kitten I chose, but there are like 3 different kinds of the kitten food in the nutro brand I'm clueless as to which one to get. I want the best for My babies, IE no fillers, and am looking for a high calorie one to help Duchess gain some weight, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Mercie_me
The nutro has very little in the filler area rice in the natral choice line.... and rice and wheat in the max line... which are you feeding>>>?? The high end walmart is not bad as far as grocery but there are many better ones... Innova evo looks very high cal

mercie_me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

The nutro has very little in the filler area rice in the natral choice line.... and rice and wheat in the max line... which are you feeding>>>?? The high end walmart is not bad as far as grocery but there are many better ones... Innova evo looks very high cal

I am currently feeding them Nutro Natural choice complete care Kitten in dry food, and Nutro and Max cat gourmet classics wet food, I switch every other wet meal with kitten and adult, until the kittens are old enough to take the mamma's off of it., as a treat, I give them, the Max cat Halibut Flavor dry... I like the Nutro, My babies seem to like it, I was just wondering what was good to help them gain weight? I looked at some omega fatty acid supplements, but I'm unsure about it
... Thank you for your suggestion Ill have to look into it.

mercie_me

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mercie_me

I am currently feeding them Nutro Natural choice complete care Kitten in dry food, and Nutro and Max cat gourmet classics wet food, I switch every other wet meal with kitten and adult, until the kittens are old enough to take the mamma's off of it., as a treat, I give them, the Max cat Halibut Flavor dry... I like the Nutro, My babies seem to like it, I was just wondering what was good to help them gain weight? I looked at some omega fatty acid supplements, but I'm unsure about it
... Thank you for your suggestion Ill have to look into it.

mercie_me
I would give them some extra meat or iol with there food
... I like Nutro too..

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too like Nutro Natural choice...for weight gain, I'd just add in an additional (or increase the amount at their current feedings) of wet food.

mercie_me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I too like Nutro Natural choice...for weight gain, I'd just add in an additional (or increase the amount at their current feedings) of wet food.
ahh, good Idea, Ill try that... Thank you.

I would give them some extra meat or iol with there food
... I like Nutro too..
I hadn't thought of that, Thanks I'll have to try this to...

mercie_me

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lover

I am feeding my boys FROMM Four Star Nutritionals Duck a La Veg and Salmon a La Veg. I switch between the two flavours every time I buy cat food. My boys are healthy and happy!

FROMM Four Star Nutritionals
Just a heads up, for those that prefer not to feed garlic, this line does use garlic in it's cat food - at least in the two flavors you mentioned.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just a heads up, for those that prefer not to feed garlic, this line does use garlic in it's cat food - at least in the two flavors you mentioned.
I understand that in the long run garlic can cause a bunch of problems. My cats are perfectly healthy, inside and out. As of now, FROMM is an awesome food with amazing benefits. Would I rather feed my boys something different? Of course! I am going to be switching my boys to Innova Evo, a new food that my teacher at college (shes a veterinarian) recommended. It is like feeding raw in a more convenient manner or a raw diet. I have been studying the raw diet for cats for a long time, there is no substitute for a raw diet, it is simply the best!

Innova EVO Dry Cat & Kitten Food

Ingredients

Turkey
Chicken
Chicken Meal
Herring Meal
Potatoes
Chicken Fat
Egg
Turkey Meal
Natural Flavors
Apples
Carrots
Tomatoes
Cottage Cheese
Dried Chicory Root
Taurine
Herring Oil
Rosemary Extract
Vitamins/Minerals
Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

Nutrition Facts

Moisture 10.00 %
Protein \t50.00 %
Fat \t 22.00 %
Fiber \t 2.00 %
Calories \t1807 Kcal/lb
Calories \t3985 Kcal/Kg
Calories \t542 KCals/Cup

As soon as I can find it in a pet store out here, I am switching them permanently!