Composure chews make her sick; alternatives?

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I often travel oot to visit my mom who is sick.  I don't want to leave Pepper alone for long periods of time, so she goes with me.  It's a 6 hour drive.  I gave her a Composure chew on the advice of my vet on the last trip and she threw up about 2 hours later and was out of sorts for at least a full day.  Same thing happened on the trip home.  Out of curiosity, I gave her one while at home to see how it affected her and she did the same thing, so clearly she can't have them anymore.  

Im not sure if its too strong for her?  The dosage is 1 chew per 25lbs but can be tripled under highly stressful conditions.  She is between 5-6lbs.  

Should I try rescue remedy or is it likely to also make her sick?  Is there another product that's better?  I could also try not giving her anything but that really makes me nervous!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The inactive ingredients seem to be: 

Inactive Ingredients:
brewers yeast, canola oil, chicken liver flavor, citric acid, glycerin, mixed tocopherols, propionic acid, proprietary blend (maltodextrin, sodium alginate and calcium sulfate), rosemary extract, silicon dioxide, soy lecithin, vegetable oil

Active ingredients
Active Ingredients (per approximately 1 soft chew)Amount
Thiamine (Vitamin B1)67 mg
C3 (Colostrum Calming Complex)11 mg
L-Theanine (Suntheanine brand)10.5 mg
She may actually be getting too much B-1.  Or maybe chicken liver flavor or the citric acid don't agree with her.

I recommend spraying Feliway in the cat carrier (I assume that's how you transport your kitty to your mom's house) about 30 minutes before  your scheduled departure.    You could try adding rescue remedy to her food a few days before the next trip and see how she reacts.  Some cars have outlets for plug in (deordorizer); if you car has one, you could plug in a Feliway.

Finally, have you heard of "thunder shirts".  They are like a tight fitting t-shirt that you put on the cat/dog.  That might be an option.

PS:  Pepper is ADORABLE!