Complications From Spaying

Donna_NZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Minnie and Grace are 6 months old and were spayed 2 days ago. Minnie has an incision about 1 inch long with 3 stitches. The wound looks ok (no redness or weeping) and she is eating and wandering around but she is coughing occasionally and has a very strange, hoarse meow.
They had a complication during surgery with Grace. Her incision is 3 inches long with 11 stitches. She has antibiotics and pain medicine which I'm giving her. She is eating a little and having short walks but is very tired and not her usual self. Her wound also looks ok.
To make matters worse, they were best friends and now they are growling and hissing at each other.
I'm taking them for a checkup in 2 days but would love to know if anyone has had similar experiences? Will Minnie's voice come right? Will Grace be her usual loving, sweet self again after this? And will they ever be friends again?
Very sad cat mom here :-(

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are hissing at each other because they smell different now and they don't recognize each other, that will clear up. You can wipe down each with a towel to mix their scents, that sometimes helps. I think the issue with the voice is irritation from the tube that was used for the anesthetic and it will clear up.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is hoarseness from the tube, like said above, the hissing at each other is normal. Both will clear up in a few days. Make sure she gets her antibiotic, give in a SMALL amt. of tuna juice if liquid, if a capsule press into a piece of bacon or deli turkey. I use a small bit of pill pocket for cats to 'paste' small pills onto treats.
You may see a lump at the incision site, that is swelling from the inside. Both cats are acting normal for them. I have some that act like nothing happened and are completely normal from day one, to completely bedridden and even peeing in their bed. I have had to bring them water and food and carry them to a litter box or put one right next to the bed. My Chrissy did not eat or drink for almost two days. Every one of them has come through fine, but if you have any questions/concerns at all, call your vet. Take a picture on your cell phone of the incision and bring it/send it to your vet. That way you don't have to traumatize them further.
It is very worrisome right now, but you are doing the right thing. Having litter after litter and all those horrible hormones doing things to them is not nice at all. Bless you for being concerned and please feel free to post any time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donna_NZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much for your replies. I guess everyone told me it was a minor procedure and "they'll be running round like nothing happened the next day.". That's not how it's been for my girls and I wish I'd known about some of these different things that can happen - I would have been a lot less worried. I have to admit there was a few hours when I was wondering if I'd done the right thing but I do know it it best for them in the long term.
Grace has been pretty good at taking her antibiotics - I've just been able to drop the half pill down her throat but I'll keep your tips in mind. As she gets stronger she might start to get more grumpy about it!
I was keeping them in separate rooms but I tried swapping their bedding over this morning and this evening I put them in a room together. There is still a bit of growling but they are actually sniffing each other and touching noses so I'm feeling a bit more positive tonight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying is a much more complicated and serious surgery than neutering. The MALES are usually running around the next day like nothing happened.Out of 30 females or so that i have had spayed, only ONE has acted like nothing happened, the others were sore and quiet for a few days, and Chrissy was the worst, I was really frightened for her. But she came through fine.
I can't believe they gave you pills. Liquid is so much easier to disguise in tuna juice and more. Next time you ever need it, ask for it. Pills are just too traumatic to give, or can be. Bacon worked the best for me, they never turn down bacon! But you have to have a piece of Pill Pocket to paste it on. I think you could probably mash the pill into a piece. One cat I can't pill at all, even the vet failed! Him I have to pick up by the loose skin on the back of the neck until his front feet are off the ground, It instinctively quiets them Then I squirt trh liquid into the side of his mouth. It's the ONLY way to get antibiotic into him! Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donna_NZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are now 4 days post spay and things are a lot better now. Minnie's voice is improving and Grace is a lot more chirpy. Her sweet little personality is coming back which is a huge relief. She's still taking her antibiotics like a champ which I'm grateful for.
One thing I found that made a big difference was getting rid of the e-collars. Minnie hated hers with a passion and ripped it off about 20 times no matter how tight I tied it. I had nightmares that she would pull her stitches out so I made her a onesie out of a soft old t-shirt which she doesn't mind at all. Then I discovered Grace had poop on her e-collar. She had obviously leaned in for a sniff after doing her business so I made her a onesie too. It was easy and I'd recommend it for anyone with a Houdini cat! A onesie instead of a big hard e-collar means Grace can come in close for cuddles again which I'm sure has helped with her recovery. I've attached a photo of her modelling hers.
There is no more growling or hissing now and I'm sure that in a day or two they'll be back to being BFFs.
I'd like to really thank the people who replied to my post. I was so stressed and I'd hardly slept worrying about them. It made a huge difference to know people understood and made positive, supportive suggestions. Thank you so much!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now reading these threads and very glad to hear that Grace and Minnie are improving all the way around. Grace is adorable in her onesie, btw! And you absolutely did the right thing -- no doubt about it. All cats should be spayed/neutered! If everyone did this, there would be no cats in shelters waiting for loving permanent homes and no cats on the streets, in danger.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear everyone is improving. Bella Roma had a tough time with her spay too. It was clear she was uncomfortable. My other female, Thirteen, was running around like the house was on fire when she had her surgery.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are now 4 days post spay and things are a lot better now. Minnie's voice is improving and Grace is a lot more chirpy. Her sweet little personality is coming back which is a huge relief. She's still taking her antibiotics like a champ which I'm grateful for.
One thing I found that made a big difference was getting rid of the e-collars. Minnie hated hers with a passion and ripped it off about 20 times no matter how tight I tied it. I had nightmares that she would pull her stitches out so I made her a onesie out of a soft old t-shirt which she doesn't mind at all. Then I discovered Grace had poop on her e-collar. She had obviously leaned in for a sniff after doing her business so I made her a onesie too. It was easy and I'd recommend it for anyone with a Houdini cat! A onesie instead of a big hard e-collar means Grace can come in close for cuddles again which I'm sure has helped with her recovery. I've attached a photo of her modelling hers.
There is no more growling or hissing now and I'm sure that in a day or two they'll be back to being BFFs.
I'd like to really thank the people who replied to my post. I was so stressed and I'd hardly slept worrying about them. It made a huge difference to know people understood and made positive, supportive suggestions. Thank you so much!
I haven't replied because I just now saw this, but I'm making "Aw" noises at her little vest and am giving you a huge high five because that's a great idea vs. the cone.
I had a male cat go in for an obstruction (urethra, life threatening) a long time ago, and when he came home his best buddy and litter mate sister was hissing, puffing up and growling at him. It upset me, and upset the little guy that had just come home from the hospital.
A few days later, she'd puff up and hiss, and he'd playfully chase her like "nah, sis, give me a hug already" and a few days after that, I relaxed, then so did she.
It wasn't fun but after a few days post-upset, everyone was happy again.
I'm glad the same is happening for you!!