Complication after tooth extraction

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with a cat having an infection after getting a k9 removed?

My kitty had her tooth removed due to a fracture two weeks ago. Day of surgery Vets provided an antibiotic in the form of a one time shot. When I brought her back in for her one week check up they said she has an infection. After looking at her mouth I could agree. It was pussy and inflamed. But aside from it looking gross she didn't seem to notice or care. But they gave her another antibiotic shot and sent us on our way.

However since the check up (4 days ago) she seems to have not improved. The infection looks worse and despite her wanting food and being hungry it clearly hurts her to eat so she gives up after a few bites.

I have found absolutely zero information on the internet. Any help or advice? I'm just surprised that two antibiotic shots have not fixed it. And they didn't clean or restitch the socket or give her more pain meds. Is that normal? How can I help her?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had experience with tooth infections but not specifically after an extraction. It may be that your kitty needs to have the pocket irrigated, however I'm not really sure. If it's not stitched, that's OK as you want the infection to be able to come out.
It could also be that the antibiotic is not the right one for this infection. When my boy had his tooth abscesses he was given an oral liquid medication and after only 2 days we saw a noticeable difference. It was called Antirobe (clindamycin)
Give her wet food if you don't already, it's easier on the mouth.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info. I always feel like I get more insight here than anywhere else. She has an appointment today to see her progress so I am goto ask about maybe trying a different method since the one time shots do not seem to be working. Maybe the oral jel?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask if they got the entire tooth out as one piece. There may be a piece stuck. I’ve had this issue with a back tooth, they can get all of it out and leave it. Usually convenia takes care is any infection, that may be the problem.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might not be this (probably not), but a cat of ours years ago had a canine out. They stitched it up and SOMEHOW - they said there wasn't enough skin AFTER the fact - she developed gangrene. I took her in, they said 'Oh we just want to take her in the back to look closer again' after we'd left the exam room and then brought her out and said 'Oh we cut away all the dead tissue'. Without pain meds. We flushed her pocket and took her to another (now ours; they were rocks) vet.

Which might be off-topic, but her gangrenous tissue looked like an infection. If the antibiotics aren't helping, it could be worth asking if there's any tissue issues.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always been given the Antirobe/clindamycin for dental issues and it has always worked. However, I would insist that someone get to the bottom of this in case it is more complicated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey yall I thought I would update in case anyone wants to know. She has healed up. Whatever the infection was it took 3 weeks to finally go away. I started giving her lysine powder so I don't know if that helped. But either way one problem gone and a new one arrived. She now won't pee in her litter box. So on to those threads too see what I can do