Community cats and URIs

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all. How worried should I be about one of our neighborhood cats sneezing with mucus discharge? Lately, this sneezing cat has been spending more time with my 2 usual customers. This particular cat is more on the feral side but comes around for food sometimes. She's always been lean but lately her lower abdomen looks real thin. Usually she's fed by another household but those people won't communicate with me and I haven't checked lately if they're still leaving food out.

They're all TNRd. I can't physically handle any of them and would have to trap if they need vet assistance.

Typically I know that URIs can clear up on their own, or could just be allergies, BUT I don't know if any of the cats are FIV+ (none tested).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is a concern. If it is allergies you are fine but I have had both scenarios....have a guy right now, Chaplin, who seemingly has allergies but the first time he sneezed all over the food I freaked out because I have also had URI's spread rampantly. Nothing has developed from him, his seeming allergies come and go, and everyone else is completely well.

This is completely anecdotal, but in my case URIs have always had runny inflamed eyes as well. Sorry not to provide much of an answer.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to be sure about FIV is to test. I have an FIV cat and the vet here is more concerned about him catching anything the other cats may pick up and spread to him because his immune system can’t fight it as well as the others might. If he is FIV, he really needs a protected environment to avoid getting worse or getting something worse. If a vet check is possible, that’s always your best option. It may be something that requires some meds.
That said, this year has been awful for allergies. Since he is losing weight, if it were me, I would attempt to check with that other household and/or trap and get him checked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot about the eyes! Her eyes looked fine. Unfortunately she's rarely around (very random) so trapping would be hard.

Unfortunately the other household will NOT talk to literally anyone in the neighborhood...

No symptoms yet from my 2 regulars. Clear eyes and nose. Will be vigilant.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all. How worried should I be about one of our neighborhood cats sneezing with mucus discharge? Lately, this sneezing cat has been spending more time with my 2 usual customers. This particular cat is more on the feral side but comes around for food sometimes. She's always been lean but lately her lower abdomen looks real thin. Usually she's fed by another household but those people won't communicate with me and I haven't checked lately if they're still leaving food out.

They're all TNRd. I can't physically handle any of them and would have to trap if they need vet assistance.

Typically I know that URIs can clear up on their own, or could just be allergies, BUT I don't know if any of the cats are FIV+ (none tested).
I put Lysine powder in my cats food mostly to prevent colds. I have given it it to cats that had cold symptoms and it helped. However if you have a community cat with a cold that won't go away or is getting worse than you will have to find a discount vet or maybe a rescue group could help. The cat would have to be given a Convenia injection (antibiotics that remain in the cats system for 2 weeks).

I never had my colony cats tested for FeV/FevL. The points being is: 1) If I can't take them off the streets, then I can only do so much to help them. 2) If one of them is positive, then their must be others who are positive too. 3)I don't want a stigma on my community cats. Their are people who believe that + cats should be put down and this is the humane thing to do. Ally Cat Allies and other advocacy groups disapproves of this. We need to give the cats the best care we can while they are on the streets. If the cats are friendly, then you can take them off the streets and manage the condition a lot better (vet care and meds). Below is an article from Ally Cat Allies about the protocol of testing and dealing with cats in regards to FEV and FEVL. I hope this gives you some clarity.
Alley Cat Allies | An Advocacy Organization for Stray, Feral, and Community Cats | Learn How to Help Today
Home

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, the link just lead to their home page, but you can look this up if you are concerned.