Commercial Raw Brands Europe

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elf is extremely picky. Always has been.

She loves raw... rabbit. Just rabbit. I've given her raw chicken, turkey, duck, salmon and rabbit but she will only eat rabbit. She LOVES the rabbit. I've only seen her eat like that when it's tuna. Pretty sure she would eat it every day, but this supplier (Alaska) recommends to rotate between 5 different animals to get a complete diet. Right now I feed dry, wet (though usually the wet food is wasted she hates canned food) and the raw rabbit from Alaska.

I hope and suspect she becomes less picky when I get a second cat and there's more "competition" for the food. I think that's part of the problem with her. Might be a weird hypothesis. Though that's a bit off topic... Until then I need to find a way to keep feeding raw once a day without her becoming deficient in nutrients.

TL;DR I'm looking for suggestions on how to continue feeding Elf. Which brand, supplements, different animal? Or is it okay to just feed rabbit if I keep feeding 30-40% kibble?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. If she likes rabbit, she might like mice, like the mice they sell for snakes. I believe there are places that sell frozen mice and also day-old chicks.

Have you tried deer meat (venison)? I heard that one whole deer has a nutritional composition similar to a mouse.

I don't know much about suppliers, since we feed a mix of dry, wet, and raw, so the raw is just basic chicken giblets from the local grocery store since the dry/wet makes up the bulk of their diet. Maybe other members will be able to point out more options!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Frozen mice or chicks is definitely a bit too hardcore for me I don't eat meat myself, that would upset me haha, but Elf is a little Persian and it's very hard to imagine her chowing down on whole prey.

I'll try and see if I can find venison though!

You feed raw alongside dry and wet too and only feed chicken? You think I would be doing much harm if I it's just the rabbit every day? I don't know if it makes a difference with the amount of nutrients etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rabbit meat is low in taurine so it's really important to supplement if you feed that. There's a UC Davis study done on cats that ate nothing but raw apparently unsupplemented rabbit meat and many cats developed health issues from the lack of taurine.

I don't know if these threads would be helfpul to you:

Recommendations for a pre-prepared raw food available in Europe
Taurine Brand
Oh I see! Thank you for that.

Unfortunately in the first link they talk more so about canned food but I'll just have a look around and have to try raw brands out myself. It's tricky when you don't want to waste money.

Are there any specifics on how much taurine I'd need to supplement per 500 grams?