Comments On Special Kitty?

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I came cross this Special Kitty Turkey and Giblets Dinner today at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/specia...Erzy7UXfLHhxS8le4U-m9J9udGMt1NeEaAhPxEALw_wcB
I know it's not a high end food but just look at the ingredients. It doesn't look too bad. Some questionable ingredients of course (highlighted in red). What I'm happy to see are:
1. No added colors or artificial flavors;
2. One gum and no carrageenan;
3. No artificial vitamin K;
4. No sodium nitrate;
5. Carb 1.45% if my calculation was right.
Thoughts? :rolleyes:
Ingredients:
Turkey, Liver, Meat By-Products, Poultry Giblets, Glycine, Salt, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, dextrose, Dl-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium selenite), Choline Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine, Water Sufficient For Processing.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Min) 11.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 5.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 1.5%
Moisture (Max) 78.0%
Ash (Max) 3.0%
Taurine* (Min) 0.05%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked up some for the Big Guy, haven't had a chance to try it yet, --I think it's a decent food.
I picked ONE can for Vega. She could be picky sometimes...or all the time for some food :p I'm waiting for a proper moment when she is hungry ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure why they have dextrose in the food?

The liver, or the meat byproducts do not bother me, they could even be considered a Plus.

guar gum, well we have a hard time getting away from this stuff. and the Dl-Methionine i see it more in dry foods, no real opinion on it one way or the other.

numbers look good, so i would say if your cat like it it would be nice in the rotation :popcorn: Im guessing its pate?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always considered the Special Kitty pate foods to be comparable to Friskies. The Ultra Gourmet foods are comparable to Fancy Feast.

But, I just bought some large cans of Turkey & Giblets and it's like a liquid. Very runny, no form to it at all. If I shake the cans all 12 feel the same. I did feed a can to the cats and they lapped it right up, and I fed a can to the dogs last night. No ill effects that I can see. But the consistency is kinda freaking me out. Maybe just this batch of 22-oz cans turned out this way, idk. I should probably e-mail the company. . .

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very smart :thumbsup:
Your avatar photo is so fun!
That's exactly what Vega did when we first met: lying down on her back and looking at me :p. I felt in love with her instantly and told the person in charge I would adopt her but need to contact someone. I called Vega's mom and said I'd pick her up in 15. We went back. When being hold, Vega seemed so soft and so vulnerable. We knew she's our girl. We brought her back home and live happy together! :wavey:.

Episode 2:
We thought Vega was going to take some time getting familiar with surroundings. We carefully opened the carrier when arrived home. She jumped out and started running around, marking everything wit her chin. She is ruling the house since then. We have no furniture in the living room as Vega claimed territory.
Oh, she slapped neighbor's Teddy bear's face yestderday :argh: