Comfort Zone/Feliway Frequency - Rug Protection

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mrs. & I are on our 3rd attempt to have a rug in our kitchen.

Our two previous attempts involved cheaper, rubber-backed rugs and the result was Sassy peed on them.  This happened despite having sprayed the second one with Comfort Zone; the first we didn't think the rug was going to be an issue.  Since they were in our kitchen, we trashed them, rather than trust trying to clean them.

I previously read a thread that connected the smell of the rubber backing to the peeing.

This time, we bought an unbacked rug, with a different surface texture.  I spoke with the vet a couple of days ago at Sassy's check-up (she is healthy and well) about the matter.  He gave me a couple of individually packaged Feliway wipes, and suggested rubbing them on the rug.  I did so, and so far she has not soiled on it, BUT we have not left the rug down while Sassy is alone in the house (during the workday).  I sprayed an additional application of Comfort Zone over the whole rug, also.

Q:  how frequently should this be re-applied/re-sprayed?  How long of a time does it take to for the cat to get the "no go" message?

At some point, we would like to leave the rug down full-time, but this one was costlier than the other two combined, so we are quite anxious about the possibility of having it ruined.

To be fair to Sassy, we had just relocated to our new home with a lot of activity, stress, etc. when we put the first two down.  She is already on Amitriptilyn for anxiety.

Oddly, she has not bothered the rubber-backed bathroom rugs at all, similar texture to the original two, bought at the same time from the same store and put in place when we moved in.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have an older cat who peed on his beds.  I sprayed the Feliway on them twice a day for a couple of weeks and it did the trick.  He hasn't done that in a long time.  He also had the annoying habit of backing up and peeing on a wood door!  I sprayed that with some 'No Go' or something--I forget the exact name.  I think it was made by Nature's Miracle.  After a few days, he quit doing that, too.

Also, if the rugs are washable, you can wash them with some Nature's Miracle or some other kind of enzyme cleaner to really get the odor out--as you probably know, sometimes cats can smell urine even when we think the odor is gone.

sparta05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried the same spray with my cat, and my cat doesn't seem phased  by it... I just stopped using it, and had to redirect my kitty. Hopefully it's not the same case with you cat, and it actually responds to it!